Randomperson1214
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I have always wanted to do Law, I’ve been dedicated since I was in year 7.
However, people have been telling me a law degree is not good if you want to make money ( of course I have a genuine interest, but I obviously have to factor in the salary aspect too)
They tell me it’s too saturated, and getting a training contract is completely competitive with low chances. I’ve also been told law firms prefer those with non-law degrees.
I have the other option of studying history and economics at uni, will this be the better choice for me?
Squiggles1238
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
First, i think you shouldnt listen to those people because they sound like they are trying to put you down. They do make some valid points, e.g., it is hard indeed to obtain a training contract, but you will never know if you dont try. If everyone looked at law, saw it was competitive and gave up, no one would do it, similarly, if everyone thought it was going to be that impossible, no one would do it.
If law is something you take a genuine interest in, i see no reason why you shouldnt apply to study law at uni. The pay that you get in a job that requires a law degree varies. For instance, there isnt just the role of a barrister or a solicitor, theres many more. And even in the role of a solicitor, the pay you receive depends on the type of law firm you work in and the area of law you practice in.
It is false to say that law firms prefer those with non law degrees. That point has probably been made by someone to reassure people that you can have a career in law without having a law degree.
qweasdzxcwersdf
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Randomperson1214)
However, people have been telling me a law degree is not good if you want to make money ( of course I have a genuine interest, but I obviously have to factor in the salary aspect too)
They tell me it’s too saturated, and getting a training contract is completely competitive with low chances. I’ve also been told law firms prefer those with non-law degrees.
I have the other option of studying history and economics at uni, will this be the better choice for me?
from my very limited knowledge on Law I'm pretty sure that success is heavily dependent on your school. There are a lot of people with law degrees but there aren't that many law firms so they just higher from top unis. If you're going to a top uni then you will probably make enough money
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
You can do a law degree and then apply for any graduate scheme you fancy (within reason). Banking, accountant, marketing etc.

So yes law is hard to get into but s law degree won’t stop you doing other stuff (bar say medicine or engineering!)
The University of Law Students
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Randomperson1214)
Hi Randomperson1214

I thought I would share my experience on your post having studied law at University.

I have to agree with what’s already been said to a certain extent. A career in law is competitive – there’s no two ways about it – but it is a very rewarding profession.

Practically, it is worth noting that the introduction of the SQE, which will be replacing the LPC in time, was to increase accessibility into the industry.

Under this qualification route, you wouldn’t actually need a qualifying law degree, although of course having studied it will invariably help with academic side of things down the line. So if you haven’t already, have a little read around it as it will likely affect your future career in law. I have attached a link explaining things in more detail here.

I wouldn’t say law firms prefer non-law degrees, but that is not to say law degrees are preferred, there is much greater emphasis placed on the transferable skills and experiences that you can gain from both. Ultimately it’s a decision which rests with you, and all I would advise is to do your homework, it may also help to speak to your schools careers team– I always found them to be a great resource.

I hope this helps!

James

ULaw Student Ambassador
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 2 months ago
you don't need a training contract to qualify as a solicitor if you do the SQE exams fyi; you need two years qualifying work experience. yes the law profession is saturated and not necessarily the gold mind it looks like on TV; i mean lots of factors come into play when determining your salary. as someone stated above you can earn a good salary with a law degree in other lines of work tho if you don't secure a job in law or just generally change your mind later. also who told you employers prefer non-law grads? the hiring rate between law and non-law grads in firms is 50/50, so what really matters is you get the best degree you can. have you studied law at A Levels? are you good at it? asking because law isn't the easiest degree if you go to a semi decent uni and takes a lot more effort to get a first than other degrees.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.61%
Okay (112)
29.09%
A bit lacking (145)
37.66%
Not good at all (91)
23.64%

Watched Threads