clenching teeth at night

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
sometimes I clench my teeth when sleeping. I don't realise that I clenched my teeth until a while after waking up. I always remember it hurting when sleeping and also feeling a lot of pressure on my teeth whilst having the feeling of not being able to stop it and not knowing why/what was causing it (now I know - clenching teeth), especially on this one tooth. Whilst it's happening (when asleep) I always dream(?) of my teeth falling out/almost falling out as a consequence. Does anyone know any way to stop it?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
sometimes I clench my teeth when sleeping. I don't realise that I clenched my teeth until a while after waking up. I always remember it hurting when sleeping and also feeling a lot of pressure on my teeth whilst having the feeling of not being able to stop it and not knowing why/what was causing it (now I know - clenching teeth), especially on this one tooth. Whilst it's happening (when asleep) I always dream(?) of my teeth falling out/almost falling out as a consequence. Does anyone know any way to stop it?
I'm also worried that my teeth might possibly move when not wearing retainers (which I wear like once a week or two) or that the retainers will break on the nights when I am wearing them.
Foxehh
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Grinding/clenching teeth can lead to jaw pain and things like TMD. Go to the dentist, they may be able to get you a protective night guard.
Anonymous #1
I'm also worried that my teeth might possibly move when not wearing retainers (which I wear like once a week or two) or that the retainers will break on the nights when I am wearing them.
(worried that my teeth might move due to the pressure of the clenching)
minnieeeee
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
omg i clench my teeth unknowingly all the time and it had caused me a lot of pain in my jaw and clicking. i also have dreams about my teeth falling out because i feel like there’s so much pressure on them when im sleeping but i cant help it. im still looking for solutions to help stop it but haven’t found anything yet. maybe the dentist could provide a mouth guard or something to prevent teeth grinding/clenching.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
Lol I was reading this then realised I was clenching my teeth
Dentaldreams
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
A mouth guard is what you need, this will prevent further damage to your teeth, as well as making you more aware of your grinding which could ultimately lead to you stopping. Even so it’s good long term as we all have moments of stress leading to clenching and grinding. A valuable investment.
Anonymous #3
Report 2 weeks ago
At least you haven't bit parts of your tongue or mouth when doing it. :nah:
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Get a custom made night guard to avoid damage to your teeth.
sunshinehss
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Lol I was reading this then realised I was clenching my teeth
same this was my reminder to relax lmaoo
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Perfectly normal, if annoying, i've been doping it and grinding recently. Its usually a reaction to stress though. It isnt overly good for you, especially if you end up grinding.
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I have something similar! After speaking to my dentist, he recommended I continued wearing my retainers nightly to reduce clenching my teeth. Honestly, it's worked quite well and my jaw hasn't felt funny, stiff, or clicked! Generally, clenching your teeth over time can lead you to grinding them.
If you don't wear your retainers over time your teeth will gradually move back to their original position, or near enough before you had braces, hence why you have retainers to keep your teeth straight! So, really, wearing your retainers regularly and nightly proves beneficial more than just keeping your teeth straight. If you find wearing retainers isn't doing much, I suggest talking to your dentist about it and perhaps discuss a nightguard or ask what options are available for you.

Veronica
Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (122)
56.22%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (25)
11.52%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (27)
12.44%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (19)
8.76%
I haven't started researching yet (11)
5.07%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
5.99%

Watched Threads