The Student Room Group

should I take btech sports or health and social as my third A level?

I am currently taking sports b-tech as my third option in sixth form as the equivalent to an A level. I have been considering switching this to health and social as my third option because I feel like sports limits my options more than health and social. however, am also taking sociology and I don't know if the subjects are too similar and if it would be pointless to take health and social whilst also doing sociology. The health and social course is also at a different school so I would have to do two subjects at one school and that at a different one.

Does anyone know if taking health and social will be worth it or if I should stick to sports?
Original post by 16abiplu
I am currently taking sports b-tech as my third option in sixth form as the equivalent to an A level. I have been considering switching this to health and social as my third option because I feel like sports limits my options more than health and social. however, am also taking sociology and I don't know if the subjects are too similar and if it would be pointless to take health and social whilst also doing sociology. The health and social course is also at a different school so I would have to do two subjects at one school and that at a different one.

Does anyone know if taking health and social will be worth it or if I should stick to sports?

@16abiplu
Hello!

I have taught in an FE college for nearly 10 years so I might be able to help (I lecture in Sociology)

In terms of employment Health and Social Care does have a very high rate of people progressing straight into employment when completing the course. There will be some crossover with Sociology but not as much as you think. If you wanted to go on and study at University the key thing to consider is the number of UCAS Tariff points that your options give you.

Health and Social Care courses are very popular - there is a whole floor of them at my F.E college with very large classes so it is very in demand.

BTEC's are gradually going out of fashion over the next few years, they are going to be replaced by the new T Levels which are being gradually rolled out over the next few years. Is your college piloting them?

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
What subject are you aiming at for Uni or an apprenticeship?
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
What subject are you aiming at for Uni or an apprenticeship?

I want to go to Uni but I am still unsure what course I am aiming for, I thought maybe the health and social would maybe give me a wider range of options.

I am enjoying studying sociology, especially studying the family and theories, but I am still not sure what possible jobs these interests could lead to.
I did Health and Social Care when i was in college. A lot of the people in my course went into childcare, social work, nursing, paramedic. I personally went into teaching. There are so many health and social care related jobs out there.
Reply 5
Original post by Arden University
@16abiplu
Hello!

I have taught in an FE college for nearly 10 years so I might be able to help (I lecture in Sociology)

In terms of employment Health and Social Care does have a very high rate of people progressing straight into employment when completing the course. There will be some crossover with Sociology but not as much as you think. If you wanted to go on and study at University the key thing to consider is the number of UCAS Tariff points that your options give you.

Health and Social Care courses are very popular - there is a whole floor of them at my F.E college with very large classes so it is very in demand.

BTEC's are gradually going out of fashion over the next few years, they are going to be replaced by the new T Levels which are being gradually rolled out over the next few years. Is your college piloting them?

Marc

Hi!

I have found this very useful, thankyou for taking the time to reply.

The UCAS tariff points are equal for sports BTEC and the health and social which are both equivalent to one A level. Do you know if these points are the main factor when applying to university's or are certain subjects 'better' to take in the eyes of administration? I wasn't sure if the health and social would also be more beneficial to take for applying to unis.

I am currently at a sixth form which don't offer many BTECS as a whole, and I don't think they do any T levels unfortunately.
The BTECS that they offer are all equivalent to one A level and for me would be taken alongside two other A levels which are sociology and photography.

I am still unsure what course at Uni I am aiming for exactly, but I am very interested in studying the family in sociology and maybe looking at care but I am not sure what possible job paths these interests lead to.

Thankyou very much,
Abi
Reply 6
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
I did Health and Social Care when i was in college. A lot of the people in my course went into childcare, social work, nursing, paramedic. I personally went into teaching. There are so many health and social care related jobs out there.

Thankyou that is very helpful, I was worried about what possible jobs health and social could offer me but that's a wide range so that's very reassuring!
Original post by 16abiplu
Hi!

I have found this very useful, thankyou for taking the time to reply.

The UCAS tariff points are equal for sports BTEC and the health and social which are both equivalent to one A level. Do you know if these points are the main factor when applying to university's or are certain subjects 'better' to take in the eyes of administration? I wasn't sure if the health and social would also be more beneficial to take for applying to unis.

I am currently at a sixth form which don't offer many BTECS as a whole, and I don't think they do any T levels unfortunately.
The BTECS that they offer are all equivalent to one A level and for me would be taken alongside two other A levels which are sociology and photography.

I am still unsure what course at Uni I am aiming for exactly, but I am very interested in studying the family in sociology and maybe looking at care but I am not sure what possible job paths these interests lead to.

Thankyou very much,
Abi

@16abiplu
Think of the required UCAS tariff points as what gets you through the door for consideration, some courses will have specific subject requirements such as Nursing and Midwifery, so check carefully for what a course is looking for. Your personal statement through UCAS will be a big influence on their decision so take your time with that.

Universities can be flexible with UCAS tariff points required, they are not set in stone. Students also get places through a process called clearing later in the year (this is where they need to fill up their courses and decide to consider more applications)

Marc

Quick Reply

Latest