Autumn 2021 Edexcel Economics Exam

Watch this thread
Imwaytoolit
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
How did everyone find Paper 1? I struggled with the 8 marker in terms of the diagram. I did the negative production externality but was unsure how it’d look like. So I did shift in MPC to account for the marginal social costs.

With 10 marker i talked about the divorce of ownership problem where it’s shareholders vs managers and managers exploited their position.

15 marker i said they raised prices as theres less competition from thomas cook. evaluated that they might have to abandon this strategy because other firms might offer lower prices on holiday deals.

then i said they were trying to profit maximise because of brexit uncertainty and given the market conditions itd be best for them to earn some supernormal profit now.

25 marker on NLW.

Overall the paper kinda knocked my confidence in micro. i hope paper 2 is better...
14yetia
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 months ago
I feel like this is the hardest micro paper I’ve ever did. All the data response question and 25 mark are really tricky to answer. Kind run out of time in the end
Imwaytoolit
Rep:
(Original post by 14yetia)
I feel like this is the hardest micro paper I’ve ever did. All the data response question and 25 mark are really tricky to answer. Kind run out of time in the end
Did you attempt the 8 marker? Another person thought it was a consumption externality.

Also can i ask what you did for the positive/normative statements on polish labour?
14yetia
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
I did over production on fuel. So using efficiency fuel means deadweight loss can be eliminated. I also talked about this rise cost of production, so price increase lead to demand decrease.

I think I put both positive? I’m literally rushing through section A, cos I did section B and C first. So I only got 10 mins left for section A.
14yetia
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Imwaytoolit)
Did you attempt the 8 marker? Another person thought it was a consumption externality.

Also can i ask what you did for the positive/normative statements on polish labour?
Just wondering, what did you put with disadvantages of rise in NLW?
Imwaytoolit
Rep:
I did over production on fuel. So using efficiency fuel means deadweight loss can be eliminated. I also talked about this rise cost of production, so price increase lead to demand decrease.

I think I put both positive? I’m literally rushing through section A, cos I did section B and C first. So I only got 10 mins left for section A.
OMG PHEW i did both positive. this other kid said it was normative and positive and i was freaking out over that
Imwaytoolit
Rep:
Just wondering, what did you put with disadvantages of rise in NLW?
I talked about 1) unemployment 2) changes from full time contracts to zero hour contracts in the gig economy which reduces job security/sick leave etc and said there are numerous studies showing that people have often been underpaid

my evaluation was that economist alan kreuger has argued that it’s not often the case and that empirical data matters more than theory. social care workers have often bonded with the people they’re with therefore less likely to be unemployed

second evaluation was trade unions protecting full time people from being dismissed. however i said it’s not that effective because trade union power has decreased so it’s still a disadvantage

overall i said that there might be some unemployment but workers can be more productive as wirh low wages they’re unmotivated to work anyway
Morganpatkins
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
Seems Thomas was cooking up some ******** in the boardroom from the looks of Extract C, fat cats. 🙄
14yetia
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
I talked about 1) unemployment 2) changes from full time contracts to zero hour contracts in the gig economy which reduces job security/sick leave etc and said there are numerous studies showing that people have often been underpaid

my evaluation was that economist alan kreuger has argued that it’s not often the case and that empirical data matters more than theory. social care workers have often bonded with the people they’re with therefore less likely to be unemployed

second evaluation was trade unions protecting full time people from being dismissed. however i said it’s not that effective because trade union power has decreased so it’s still a disadvantage

overall i said that there might be some unemployment but workers can be more productive as wirh low wages they’re unmotivated to work anyway
Oh wow that’s so good! I didn’t have enough time to finish 25 marker… Anyway this paper is a disaster to me🤬I hope the next one will be easier
Imwaytoolit
Rep:
(Original post by Morganpatkins)
Seems Thomas was cooking up some ******** in the boardroom from the looks of Extract C, fat cats. 🙄
thomas cook directors really said money 😩😩😩😍😍😍🥵🥵
Imwaytoolit
Rep:
Oh wow that’s so good! I didn’t have enough time to finish 25 marker… Anyway this paper is a disaster to me🤬I hope the next one will be easier
same although the points were made i feel like i didn’t phrase it correctly. i hope this paper was like a booster for us to revise harder for other papers. Good luck to you! i hope we get the grades we all deserve
benking1507
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
What paper was this for?
Jamal billy
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Do you remember any of the questions. If so please respond. And is there a question paper available?
Jamal billy
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Do you remember any of the questions. If so please respond. And is there a question paper available?
Jamal billy
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
How did everyone find Paper 1? I struggled with the 8 marker in terms of the diagram. I did the negative production externality but was unsure how it’d look like. So I did shift in MPC to account for the marginal social costs.

With 10 marker i talked about the divorce of ownership problem where it’s shareholders vs managers and managers exploited their position.

15 marker i said they raised prices as theres less competition from thomas cook. evaluated that they might have to abandon this strategy because other firms might offer lower prices on holiday deals.

then i said they were trying to profit maximise because of brexit uncertainty and given the market conditions itd be best for them to earn some supernormal profit now.

25 marker on NLW.

Overall the paper kinda knocked my confidence in micro. i hope paper 2 is better...
Jamal billy
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Jamal billy
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
thomas cook directors really said money 😩😩😩😍😍😍🥵🥵
Imwaytoolit
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by Jamal billy)
it’s unreleased so no
ASHLEIGHSIDNEY
Rep:
Report 4 months ago

25 marker on NLW.

worst paper of our lives
- me and my friend
made me reconsider my choices
Imwaytoolit
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by ASHLEIGHSIDNEY)
worst paper of our lives
- me and my friend
made me reconsider my choices
How were the other papers for you? I’m sure you guys have your results now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (10)
19.61%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (4)
7.84%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
7.84%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (6)
11.76%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (14)
27.45%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
25.49%

Watched Threads