Feel like I may have chosen the wrong course.

Watch
JustOneMoreThing
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I'm facing a dilemma regarding my chosen degree course and could use some advice so anything is appreciated. I'm currently enrolled on a Marketing degree which I got into through clearing the past September, it was a rather rushed decision to get into uni and do something that was halfway employable and enjoyable.

I studied Psychology, Philosophy and Film Studies so the most sensible option I could see was Marketing since I thought it encompassed my skills and interests quite well. Basically it wasn't a choice made out of pure interest for the subject but also not completely void of it.

*Now I've started and I was wandering around the web and discovered neuroscience seems to be a growing field and something I actually considered doing but disregarded since I previously thought it was on par with a psychology degree regarding saturation and employability prospects within the field itself post graduation. I see now that isn't really the case and it's seen as a promising field with decent growth so I'm having second thoughts, in addition I would love to work in a lab sometime in the future and clearly neuroscience would be the better option for that.

Through all this I found a couple neuroscience degrees from 2 different unis that are well regarded and of course I just so happened to miss the clearing deadline by a few weeks. Now I'm in a bit of a pickle because I can't do those courses until next year but I also don't feel confident enough in them to drop out of my current course which is quite high on the league tables in marketing, at least in my area.

I was thinking that the most logical way forward would be to stick with my marketing degree for now until the end of Term 1 and then re evaluate my situation then.

I know I've answered my own question but I just felt the need to get it out and possibly seek any advice or words of wisdom from people who might have gone through a similar situation. Thank you for reading if you've made it this far.
lalexm
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by JustOneMoreThing)
I'm facing a dilemma regarding my chosen degree course and could use some advice so anything is appreciated. I'm currently enrolled on a Marketing degree which I got into through clearing the past September, it was a rather rushed decision to get into uni and do something that was halfway employable and enjoyable.

I studied Psychology, Philosophy and Film Studies so the most sensible option I could see was Marketing since I thought it encompassed my skills and interests quite well. Basically it wasn't a choice made out of pure interest for the subject but also not completely void of it.

*Now I've started and I was wandering around the web and discovered neuroscience seems to be a growing field and something I actually considered doing but disregarded since I previously thought it was on par with a psychology degree regarding saturation and employability prospects within the field itself post graduation. I see now that isn't really the case and it's seen as a promising field with decent growth so I'm having second thoughts, in addition I would love to work in a lab sometime in the future and clearly neuroscience would be the better option for that.

Through all this I found a couple neuroscience degrees from 2 different unis that are well regarded and of course I just so happened to miss the clearing deadline by a few weeks. Now I'm in a bit of a pickle because I can't do those courses until next year but I also don't feel confident enough in them to drop out of my current course which is quite high on the league tables in marketing, at least in my area.

I was thinking that the most logical way forward would be to stick with my marketing degree for now until the end of Term 1 and then re evaluate my situation then.

I know I've answered my own question but I just felt the need to get it out and possibly seek any advice or words of wisdom from people who might have gone through a similar situation. Thank you for reading if you've made it this far.
I was about to say exactly what you suggested i.e stick it out until end of term 1 and review then. If there was a chance you could swap courses now without losing a year, maybe at your existing uni, that would be a different ballgame, but I guess there is not? Have you asked your uni if this is possible?
Last edited by lalexm; 3 weeks ago
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Do you have the right A levels for neuroscience? I just had a quick look on UCAS and most unis require A level biology at a minimum, with others asking for two science/maths A levels. If you've found a couple which accept your A levels, then fair enough but I thought I'd point it out.

I'd definitely continue with your current degree for a bit longer - a few weeks isn't really very long to be able to make a considered decision on something. If you're able to afford it, I'd continue certainly until Christmas and then see how you feel about things.
JustOneMoreThing
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by lalexm)
I was about to say exactly what you suggested i.e stick it out until end of term 1 and review then. If there was a chance you could swap courses now without losing a year, maybe at your existing uni, that would be a different ballgame, but I guess there is not? Have you asked your uni if this is possible?
Thanks for responding, unfortunately I can't switch at my current uni since they don't offer neuroscience and my other option is closed for clearing, but I'm pretty happy with waiting until Term 1 before I make any drastic decisions.
(Original post by Reality Check)
Do you have the right A levels for neuroscience? I just had a quick look on UCAS and most unis require A level biology at a minimum, with others asking for two science/maths A levels. If you've found a couple which accept your A levels, then fair enough but I thought I'd point it out.

I'd definitely continue with your current degree for a bit longer - a few weeks isn't really very long to be able to make a considered decision on something. If you're able to afford it, I'd continue certainly until Christmas and then see how you feel about things.
Thank you for your response, yeah a lot of options are off limits for me since my A-Level combination is free of hard sciences, thankfully I found at least one course which accepts having only Psychology as a science and has a decent rep for neuroscience.

I'll definetly stick it out, who knows I might end up enjoying my current subject, thanks again for taking the time :yy:
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thanks for responding, unfortunately I can't switch at my current uni since they don't offer neuroscience and my other option is closed for clearing, but I'm pretty happy with waiting until Term 1 before I make any drastic decisions.

Thank you for your response, yeah a lot of options are off limits for me since my A-Level combination is free of hard sciences, thankfully I found at least one course which accepts having only Psychology as a science and has a decent rep for neuroscience.

I'll definetly stick it out, who knows I might end up enjoying my current subject, thanks again for taking the time :yy:
You're welcome With any luck, you might find that you enjoy your Marketing degree more as term progresses, which would make your decision easier.
FutureMissMRCS
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you got any questions about what it's like studying neuroscience at uni shoot me a PM, I'll be happy to answer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (160)
84.66%
No (29)
15.34%

Watched Threads