The Student Room Group

AQA Psychology October Resit 2021 Thread

Hey all is anyone else doing the October psychology resits? Just sat paper one this afternoon. Would love someone to discuss this with!
Yup, I just sat it too! I don't know how I felt about it to be honest. I don't think I did well, but I'm not sure if that's mainly because how fed up I am of revision or whether the questions were difficult. I think it was a mix of the two.

Social Influence went well enough, but after that it went downhill. I didn't like the last 16 marker at all and barely did it because I was short of time and if I'm being transparent I was so tired and checked out by that point - I had gotten 2 hours of sleep and aghh I just want to enjoy my gap year at this point. I really wanted to achieve top grades, but I don't know if it is worth the stress.

I also basically skipped the question on that statistical test because I didn't revise that.

Overall, I don't think I did bad enough to not be able to make up for it in other papers and get better than my original grade, but I'm not sure I can achieve what I was aiming for (an A) anymore.

I just hope the grade boundaries are low because we are still part of the year group affected by the pandemic and we've had to learn a lot of the content on our own. But anyways, how did you find it?
Original post by mumbojumbo3
Yup, I just sat it too! I don't know how I felt about it to be honest. I don't think I did well, but I'm not sure if that's mainly because how fed up I am of revision or whether the questions were difficult. I think it was a mix of the two.

Social Influence went well enough, but after that it went downhill. I didn't like the last 16 marker at all and barely did it because I was short of time and if I'm being transparent I was so tired and checked out by that point - I had gotten 2 hours of sleep and aghh I just want to enjoy my gap year at this point. I really wanted to achieve top grades, but I don't know if it is worth the stress.

I also basically skipped the question on that statistical test because I didn't revise that.

Overall, I don't think I did bad enough to not be able to make up for it in other papers and get better than my original grade, but I'm not sure I can achieve what I was aiming for (an A) anymore.

I just hope the grade boundaries are low because we are still part of the year group affected by the pandemic and we've had to learn a lot of the content on our own. But anyways, how did you find it?

Hey! Thanks for your reply. Sorry mine is late! I assume you sat paper 2 this morning as well? How did that go for you?

Re: paper 1 for me I totally agree with the stats test thing. I hadn’t revised that and it bit me on the bum for this paper 2 as well tbh. They’ll clearly see I don’t know my data/stats content :frown:

I also hope the grade boundaries are low! Hard to predict with resits because it’s usually a mix of people trying harder to beat their initial grade, and homeschoolers/independents who statistically do quite well.

I am the latter but I think I’ll be lucky if I get a C :frown:

Paper 2 positives tho - the bio psych section was forgiving! I was so worried the nervous systems would come up. Hadn’t revised at all. So the neuron description made me breathe a sigh of relief (I do biology too so the crossover helps).

The last essay really threw me off (features of science) but I ended up using Wundt as an example of how psychology became a science and then exploring different studies and elements of the scientific method as well as their advantages/disadvantages and challenges faced by researchers. Hopefully it was enough. I don’t really have a lot of essay practice! Definitely feels like my AO3 marks were lacking throughout.
Hi, no worries! Yeah I just sat paper 2 today. I'm also resitting English Lit and had my first exam on it yesterday, and so I was really short on time to revise for Psychology paper 2.

I literally just watched two YouTube videos on research methods for year one content and didn't end up having ANY time to revise biopsychology. When I woke up this morning, I was so demotivated and genuinely considered not going into the exam and giving up entirely. Luckily I didn't and honestly I expected the exam to be a complete train-wreck, but it wasn't completely AWFUL and I put something down for almost every question.

In approaches, I hadn't revised Humanism because I was almost certain that wouldn't come up as it's been in every past paper I've done. However, I still think I managed well enough in that 8 marker.

As I said earlier, I didn't revise any biopsychology, but I found the 16 marker somewhat doable because I remembered doing a group project on studying the brain. However, my answer was still unfortunately lacking - I only wrote paragraphs last minute in an attempt to squeeze a few more marks.

The same goes for the last essay question. I gave it a go with two hastily written paragraphs, but here I'm not even sure I talked about the right thing :frown:. All in all, my essay questions were generally pretty poor, but hopefully I milked a few more marks from them. I knew going into this paper it wasn't going to be my strongest and I was kind of just determined to get marks wherever I could and get a decent score.

The research methods section and the rest of approaches I found was generally quite good. I was somewhat confident in most my answers for them. For the neuron question in biopsychology I put down the first thing that came to my head (probably wrong or got like 1 mark) and didn't put anything for the question below it.

And also yeah, you articulated exactly my thoughts on the whole grade boundary thing. There really is a mix of people, but I'm worried that the majority of them really gunning for the stars and might keep the boundaries relatively high. But idk, talking to people on here, it sounds like they're not going that great for everyone and also our year has it harder than last year, so I think it will still drop.

Also, I fear the best I'll get is a C too :frown:. I needed this paper to go amazingly, but it didn't and neither did paper 1. I think there is still a chance in paper 3 though - I think it has the most interesting topics and also I have most my notes for it already made.

But even if I get a B or A, unfortunately, I'll have to kiss goodbye to going to my dream university, as well as several other unis I liked... So overall, I'm feeling pretty down, but I'm trying to stay positive and just get through my next few exams :wink:

But honestly, it sounds like you did pretty well in paper 2 even though you may not think so. What you put for the last essay is far better than what I put and it sounds about right. Also the statistical questions didn't make up too many marks if I'm not wrong, so I don't think you should be feeling too bad. Obviously, only you know how you did, but to me it sounds like you can definitely do better than a C :smile:

(Sorry this is such a long reply!)
Reply 4
Original post by OliviaApollo
Hey all is anyone else doing the October psychology resits? Just sat paper one this afternoon. Would love someone to discuss this with!

Hey! I also sat Aqa a level psychology! Sorry I know it’s a lattteee reply, but I was just searching about results day and I found this chat. Basically I found paper 1 alright, paper 2 was good but paper 3 was a nightmare! I especially replied to hear a response from how you guys about how you felt about paper 3 (I know it was more than a month agoπŸ˜‚) anyhow this was a really bad paper especially the 16 marker on stress, this topic was at the very back of my study guides and I didn’t even bother looking at it never mind answering a 16 marker on it.

Just wondering how you guys found paper 3, I’ll also be updating my results (if it’s goodπŸ’€)
Original post by Mghafari
Hey! I also sat Aqa a level psychology! Sorry I know it’s a lattteee reply, but I was just searching about results day and I found this chat. Basically I found paper 1 alright, paper 2 was good but paper 3 was a nightmare! I especially replied to hear a response from how you guys about how you felt about paper 3 (I know it was more than a month agoπŸ˜‚) anyhow this was a really bad paper especially the 16 marker on stress, this topic was at the very back of my study guides and I didn’t even bother looking at it never mind answering a 16 marker on it.

Just wondering how you guys found paper 3, I’ll also be updating my results (if it’s goodπŸ’€)

Hey! Thanks for your reply. Sorry mine is late! I assume you sat paper 2 this morning as well? How did that go for you?

Re: paper 1 for me I totally agree with the stats test thing. I hadn’t revised that and it bit me on the bum for this paper 2 as well tbh. They’ll clearly see I don’t know my data/stats content :frown:

I also hope the grade boundaries are low! Hard to predict with resits because it’s usually a mix of people trying harder to beat their initial grade, and homeschoolers/independents who statistically do quite well.

Paper 2 positives tho - the bio psych section was forgiving! I was so worried the nervous systems would come up. Hadn’t revised at all. So the neuron description made me breathe a sigh of relief (I do biology too so the crossover helps).

The last essay really threw me off (features of science) but I ended up using Wundt as an example of how psychology became a science and then exploring different studies and elements of the scientific method as well as their advantages/disadvantages and challenges faced by researchers. Hopefully it was enough. I don’t really have a lot of essay practice! Definitely feels like my AO3 marks were lacking throughout.

Hey! do you remember the topics that came up in paper 1 and 2 for psych? I'd be so grateful if you could share them!
Hey do you remember what topics came up in paper 1? I'd be soooo grateful if you could share xx :smile:

Hi Olivia do u remember the questions that came up for memory and attachment please.

Could you please tell me the questions that came up for memory and attachment in paper 1 please
Original post by Diamond111
Could you please tell me the questions that came up for memory and attachment in paper 1 please

Do you know what came up in social influence and psychopathology?
Original post by neonmozzy
Do you know what came up in social influence and psychopathology?

No sorry x I didn't sit the paper do u know what questions came up for memory and attachment
Reply 11

Hi, do you remember any topics for paper 2 for psych? I'd be so grateful.
(edited 2 years ago)

Hiii!
Please can you tell me what you remember came up on the paper I have my mock with this paper in a few days!
hope it went well btw <3
(edited 2 years ago)
Could u please tell us what questions came up for any of papers thanks
Reply 14
Original post by username5719242

Hi, How many 16 markers are there on the paper 2? And which topics are they on like Approaches and Debates or Biopsychology or schrizophrenia? Thanks
(edited 2 years ago)

hi, do you remember what came up on paper 3?
hey! can anyone tell me what was on this paper? i think it's going to be my mock paper

Quick Reply

Latest