Volunteers for Cancer research

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Do healthy cancer free volunteers ever volunteer to be given cancer for the purposes of research either in Britain or abroad?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm pretty sure that would be a huge violation of biomedical research ethics to even ask participants to consider that, so I can only assume no.

Also cancer research is usually on particular types of cancer and I imagine trying to give someone a specific form of cancer is rather easier said than done. Sticking someone next to an unshielded nuclear material may well give them cancer but it's likely to be pretty hard to predict or control what type of cancer they develop.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Do healthy cancer free volunteers ever volunteer to be given cancer for the purposes of research either in Britain or abroad?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
I'm pretty sure that would be a huge violation of biomedical research ethics to even ask participants to consider that, so I can only assume no.

Also cancer research is usually on particular types of cancer and I imagine trying to give someone a specific form of cancer is rather easier said than done. Sticking someone next to an unshielded nuclear material may well give them cancer but it's likely to be pretty hard to predict or control what type of cancer they develop.
Im doing a bioethics project and we discussed that there are probably some people who’d willingly offer themselves for such research to help defeat this horrible disease that takes away loved ones, friends etc and could gain the satisfaction that they are doing it for mankind.

For example with Leukaemia research a volunteer is given a vaccine against the disease. Later a sample of their bone marrow is taken and cultured, with oncogenes inserted for chronic myeloid leukaemia. The transgenic marrow is then put back and they wait to see if the vaccine stops the leukaemia developing. It also allows them to characterise how the disease develops from an early stage as real patients usually have it at an advanced stage. Using mice and lab animals isn’t always as accurate.

I’m not sure myself if it’s a good idea in the fact it could add extra work for the health service in treating the cancer if the experiment doesn't work gets out of control which would put me against such a program.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Sounds highly unethical.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
No one would be given cancer for research... im not even sure how you would give someone cancer bar irradiating them?
There are more than enough cancer patients for pharma to try out their new drugs on without creating new cases. It sounds utterly pointless, not to mention completely illegal
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (122)
56.22%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (25)
11.52%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (27)
12.44%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (19)
8.76%
I haven't started researching yet (11)
5.07%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
5.99%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed