williamsf
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Does anyone know of any firms or have any contacts to get some work experience in an investment banking/ management firm for a year 12 student (aged 16)? Ideally situated in/ near Birmingham.
anonuser99
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Sorry to say mate but those two industries are practically non-existent outside of London.

You may be able to find some stuff in wealth management (not the same thing as investment management). I know Rathbones has offices in the area.

It's gonna be very difficult to convince someone to give you work exp at that age. You're basically asking for babysitting. Not to say you're a baby but you're basically either be shadowing or producing grunt work that they know you 100% can't **** up. So it's only going to be a time sink for this firm and you need to give people a reason to sink that time.

If you're serious about it and have some time, here's how you go about it:
1. Get on Google maps and look around your local area and London for firms by searching "investment service" or "investment bank" or "investment management"
2. Make a list of the firms that come up and are relevant
3. Make a LinkedIn profile if you don't have one already. Get the premium (recruiter) free trial.
4. Find the linkedin pages of the companies you've found and look at their employees.
5. Find the employees who are like medium seniority (not the CEO but also not the first year analyst).
6. Connect with these people and send them a polite note explaining who you are and that you want to have a call to find out what they do.
7. Have the call, ask genuine questions that aren't stupid and googleable, show your passion and then say you're looking for work experience and would they be able to help. Easily 90%+ of the people you talk to will say no. So expect a lot of rejection.

That's how you go about this if you want to do it. I guarantee that no one on this forum is going to any of their contacts (if they have any) to ask them to babysit a 16 year old for a week. There's just no upside there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (308)
57.89%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (74)
13.91%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (59)
11.09%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (45)
8.46%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
4.89%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.76%

Watched Threads