The Student Room Group

Chemistry at uni

For my Advanced Highers i chose to do maths, chemistry and English. By choosing English as my third subject, have I ruined my chances of attending university to study chemistry?
Original post by BigChrissyT
For my Advanced Highers i chose to do maths, chemistry and English. By choosing English as my third subject, have I ruined my chances of attending university to study chemistry?

absolutely not, you really only want to have Maths and chemistry to be competitive at most places - minus Oxbridge.
Reply 2
Original post by leviticus.
absolutely not, you really only want to have Maths and chemistry to be competitive at most places - minus Oxbridge.

Ah okay, thank you. Sadly for me I made the dumb decision to apply to Oxford so I suppose that application won’t really be considered… hopefully the other unis will accept me! :smile:
Original post by BigChrissyT
Ah okay, thank you. Sadly for me I made the dumb decision to apply to Oxford so I suppose that application won’t really be considered… hopefully the other unis will accept me! :smile:

If you have the grades for Oxbridge, you will definitely get in at a lot of other places. Chemistry is generally undersubscribed and not very competitive. Worth mentioning that Oxford's "recommended subjects" are basically soft requirements. However, Chemistry is their least competitive STEM course (statistically) and they interview a lot of applicants. Last year was 60-70% and other years its closer to 90. You are on paper less competitive without further maths/another science however given that Chemistry interview a lot, you are still very much in the running. Once you get to the interview your grades are generally unimportant.

But ye you should be fine everywhere else, as I said, Chemistry isn't rly that competitive at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending