DS76
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Just a short backstory, I had a graduate art job video interview in a particular subject area. However the 2 interviewers were both rude towards me. I felt they categorised me based on my appearance and atomically created things about me and my personality that was completely wrong and untrue. They tried to find ways in provoking me and they done their best for me to withdraw from my application.

I felt really intermediated, shaken and I did withdraw. The interviewers were a lot older than me and I don't understand why they're just mean. I just wanted to learn new skills and be better in my craft. I have a 'chilled' and 'laid back personality', I see myself as a kind + helpful person, I always put others first before myself. Thats the kind of person I am

Anyway I now have another interview coming up it's in the same subject area and I'm just really anxious that the same thing is going to happen again. I will be interviewed with 2 people like last time, i'm just concerned that the interviewers will just be mean and rude. Put me off the job because they don't like me.

Do you have any advice? Thank you
Last edited by DS76; 2 weeks ago
RJT89
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by DS76)
Just a short backstory, I had a graduate art job video interview in a particular subject area. However the 2 interviewers were both rude towards me. I felt they categorised me based on my appearance and atomically created things about me and my personality that was completely wrong and untrue. They tried to find ways in provoking me and they done their best for me to withdraw from my application.

I felt really intermediated, shaken and I did withdraw. The interviewers were a lot older than me and I don't understand why they're just mean. I just wanted to learn new skills and be better in my craft. I have a 'chilled' and 'laid back personality', I see myself as a kind + helpful person, I always put others first before myself. Thats the kind of person I am

Anyway I now have another interview coming up it's in the same subject area and I'm just really anxious that the same thing is going to happen again. I will be interviewed with 2 people like last time, i'm just concerned that the interviewers will just be mean and rude. Put me off the job because they don't like me.

Do you have any advice? Thank you
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it.

Either they believed that the best way to interview somebody is to make them uncomfortable (which is quite an old fashioned view, but fits with what you said about them being a lot older) or they were genuinely mean people. Remember: interviews are for you as a candidate to assess your fit with the hiring organisation as well as the other way around, so in either case you probably would not have enjoyed working with them and did the right thing by withdrawing.

I don't know anything about the arts but they have a stereotype of being mean to younger/less experienced people so, while I hope not, that kind of interview might be par for the course for that industry. Anybody from the industry would be able to give you more insight but even if the next interviewers are also mean please bear in mind that it reflects more on them than it does on you.

In general, keep being you. Find a workplace culture that appreciates who you are and don't compromise your kindness for the sake of a job, because then you'll end up deeply unhappy and that is not worth it.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (252)
57.53%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (58)
13.24%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (47)
10.73%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (38)
8.68%
I haven't started researching yet (24)
5.48%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
4.34%

Watched Threads