The Student Room Group

Paragraphs with line breaks or starting from the next line with (tab)

Hi guys! I'll be sending off my application in a week or so. I've cut down my essay to meet the character limit, but I'm exceeding the lines limit. As it stands my personal statement has around 6 paragraphs with a line left between each.

I realised that I could meet the line limit simply by deleting that line and starting the next paragraph from the next line (and after pressing tab so there's an indent). However will this reflect badly on my personal statement and its readability? Is it a risk? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
(edited 2 years ago)
Make it into 3 paragraphs with spacing?
Reply 2
UCAS cuts out tabs unfortunately :frown: it's line spacing or block of text
Then no, just have it as a block.
Original post by Pinez772
UCAS cuts out tabs unfortunately :frown: it's line spacing or block of text

Even starting from the next line is cut out? For example:

Filler filler filler filler filler filler Filler filler filler filler filler fillerFiller filler filler filler filler fillerFiller filler filler filler filler fillerFiller filler filler filler filler fillerFiller filler filler filler filler fillerFiller filler filler filler filler fillerFiller filler filler filler filler fillerFiller filler filler filler filler fillerFiller filler filler filler filler fillerFiller filler filler filler filler fillerFiller filler filler filler filler filler
Filler filler filler filler filler filler Filler filler filler filler filler filler Filler filler filler filler filler filler Filler filler filler filler filler filler Filler filler filler filler filler filler Filler filler filler filler filler filler Filler filler filler filler filler filler Filler filler filler filler filler filler Filler filler filler filler filler filler Filler filler filler filler filler filler Filler filler filler filler filler filler Filler filler filler filler filler filler Filler filler filler filler filler filler
Reply 5
Original post by foamroller23
Even starting from the next line is cut out? For example:

Filler filler filler filler filler filler Filler filler filler filler filler fillerFiller filler filler filler filler fillerFiller filler filler filler filler fillerFiller filler filler filler filler fillerFiller filler filler filler filler fillerFiller filler filler filler filler fillerFiller filler filler filler filler fillerFiller filler filler filler filler fillerFiller filler filler filler filler fillerFiller filler filler filler filler fillerFiller filler filler filler filler filler
Filler filler filler filler filler filler Filler filler filler filler filler filler Filler filler filler filler filler filler Filler filler filler filler filler filler Filler filler filler filler filler filler Filler filler filler filler filler filler Filler filler filler filler filler filler Filler filler filler filler filler filler Filler filler filler filler filler filler Filler filler filler filler filler filler Filler filler filler filler filler filler Filler filler filler filler filler filler Filler filler filler filler filler filler

Of course not, that’s not a tab that’s just starting from the next line
Original post by Pinez772
Of course not, that’s not a tab that’s just starting from the next line

Cool, got it. But when they receive the personal statement, they will view it as two paragraphs, right? Starting from the next line will still show some sort of division between paragraphs?

P.S. Sorry if I'm coming off as irritating or paranoid, it's just that I'm done with everything (characters, Predicteds, etc) - but this lines limit is the only thing that stops me from pushing the submit button..
Reply 7
The thing stopping you from pushing submit should be getting feedback from teachers and tutors etc not a line limit, I’m a random 18 year old who wrote her personal statement in three hours the night before her college’s internal deadline. All I know is that UCAS removes tabs
Original post by foamroller23
Cool, got it. But when they receive the personal statement, they will view it as two paragraphs, right? Starting from the next line will still show some sort of division between paragraphs?

P.S. Sorry if I'm coming off as irritating or paranoid, it's just that I'm done with everything (characters, Predicteds, etc) - but this lines limit is the only thing that stops me from pushing the submit button..

Im literally going through the same thing. My plan is to remove as much "fluff" as I can without ruining the personal statement and just mush together some of the paragraphs if possible, just to make it aesthetically pleasing for the admissions people.
Cut it down to retain your line breaks. You have plenty of time.

Look at each sentence individually and try to remove one word without losing the meaning of that sentence.

Improving the “tightness” of your PS and keeping a good layout will only benefit you. If you’re unable or unwilling to edit it down to include line breaks then you greatly increase the chance of admissions staff missing/skipping over something you think is important.
A couple of quick ways to potentially shorten it:

- Remove any reference to your A Levels
- Cut down or remove your hobbies paragraph

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending