How to get over gym shyness?

Watch
DiamondDia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I recently joined the gym and I’ve only been using the cardio machines as I know how they work but I’m too afraid to wander around and explore the other equipment like the weight lifting ones. It gives me such anxiety having to walk past the big muscly men using them. I really wanna start weight lifting but I don’t even know where to start and I’m too scared to even use the equipment because what if it goes wrong and I hurt myself, that’s so embarrassing. And seeing all these girls with abs and stuff is like omggg, I wish I had the confidence but I don’t.

Any tips?
Kyri
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I promise you, all these people are not there to intimidate others. They just want to improve themselves. The vast majority of gym goers are nice people just like you and would actually be happy to help you if you're unsure about how to use any equipment. And none of them had big muscles or abs when they started the gym either. Really, don't worry about it.

If anyone does look at you, it's often for things like they want to see if you're someone they know and might want to talk to, or if you might want to use the same equipment as them, or maybe they're just nosing around as something to do until their next set.

One other tip... maybe you could ask a member of gym staff to show you how to use some of the weight lifting equipment so you feel a bit more confident the first time. That's something I did when I started lifting.
Last edited by Kyri; 2 weeks ago
DiamondDia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Kyri)
I promise you, all these people are not there to intimidate others. They just want to improve themselves. The vast majority of gym goers are nice people just like you and would actually be happy to help you if you're unsure about how to use any equipment. And none of them had big muscles or abs when they started the gym either. Really, don't worry about it.

If anyone does look at you, it's often for things like they want to see if you're someone they know and might want to talk to, or if you might want to use the same equipment as them, or maybe they're just nosing around as something to do until their next set.

One other tip... maybe you could ask a member of gym staff to show you how to use some of the weight lifting equipment so you feel a bit more confident the first time. That's something I did when I started lifting.
Thank you so much, I kinda feel a bit assured but just gunna push through and build the confidence to ask. But I’ll be alright I guess.
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
most gyms offer some sort of induction - they don't want you to hurt yourself either
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (284)
57.72%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (67)
13.62%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (53)
10.77%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (42)
8.54%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
5.28%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
4.07%

Watched Threads