The Student Room Group

Psychology A-level AQA 16 marker

I'm in year 12 taking psychology, and I have to write a 16 marker on Animal studies in timed conditions on Friday, but I haven't been told how to structure it, or been told what A01 and A03 really mean. Can anyone help please?
Original post by 16DuffyE
I'm in year 12 taking psychology, and I have to write a 16 marker on Animal studies in timed conditions on Friday, but I haven't been told how to structure it, or been told what A01 and A03 really mean. Can anyone help please?

For the 16 mark content, I expect it to be split into two, 8 marks for a01 and 8 marks for a03 and split again into two different studies to discuss etc.

A01 is describe, outline word commands. So to describe for example harlows experiment with the monkeys, you’ll talk about everything involved, equipment, and what was done to test etc. It is also always worth mentioning any findings and conclusions.

A03 is like evaluate command words, so you’ll talk about different perspectives on whether or not the experiment was a success, or whether it was a valid experiment with its findings. So think, was there any problems with ethics as a result in the experiment? Were the techniques used valid… would you be able to repeat the experiment in modern times?

I think that’s a basic overview of ao1 and ao3 :smile: ao3 does require a bit more thought, but check your evaluation boxes on your textbook and get to know the experiments involved well before the test.
Reply 2
Original post by AliceRoseGuy
For the 16 mark content, I expect it to be split into two, 8 marks for a01 and 8 marks for a03 and split again into two different studies to discuss etc.

A01 is describe, outline word commands. So to describe for example harlows experiment with the monkeys, you’ll talk about everything involved, equipment, and what was done to test etc. It is also always worth mentioning any findings and conclusions.

A03 is like evaluate command words, so you’ll talk about different perspectives on whether or not the experiment was a success, or whether it was a valid experiment with its findings. So think, was there any problems with ethics as a result in the experiment? Were the techniques used valid… would you be able to repeat the experiment in modern times?

I think that’s a basic overview of ao1 and ao3 :smile: ao3 does require a bit more thought, but check your evaluation boxes on your textbook and get to know the experiments involved well before the test.

Thank you so much
Original post by 16DuffyE
Thank you so much

It’s worth mentioning that the command words in the question may not be describe or evaluate, and the question might instead gauge towards comparisons of studies etc. You just don’t know what the question might be on the day, ya know?

So I’d have a look into the different kind of command words you might expect for ao1 and ao3, so have a look at your exam board for that online. If you know the studies in and out tho, chances are you’ll be able to adapt when the test comes

Goodluck :smile:
Ao1 is displaying your knowledge on the subject and Ao3 is all your evaluation and supporting studies. for example explaining lorenz's study would be Ao1 and then evaluating the study saying how it doesnt generalise to humans would be Ao3

its 6 Ao1 10 Ao3 im year 13 psychology and its never 8 8
Add my snap if u are interested, send u proof before u buy.

r.sohal191203
Exampro Psychology paper AQA

its 6 ao1, 10 ao3

Quick Reply

Latest