The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick Uni and low predicted grades

Hi,
Do you think that there is any possibility that Warwick will make an offer of A*AA to a student with predicted grades of AAB? The course is Astrophysics and advertised as A*AA.
Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Starlow
Hi,
Do you think that there is any possibility that Warwick will make an offer of A*AA to a student with predicted grades of AAB? The course is Astrophysics and advertised as A*AA.
Thanks

You'd be rejected automatically as your predictions don't meet their minimum criteria, even for a contextual offer of A*AB (if you are eligible)
https://warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/astrophysicsbsc/
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Applying to any course where you are two grades below is very risky - and especially for a course asking for A*. They will have their pick of applicants with those grades and higher. You are almost certain to get a straight rejection.

Ideally this is what your five university course choices should look like -
1 'risky' choice - just above your predicted grades, ie. 1 grade and not in a vital subject.
2 or 3 - at your predicted grades
1 or 2 - below your predicted grade
Not only will you be likely to end up with more than one or two offers, but you will also have a range of offers. This is important when picking a firm and insurance choice later on in the year.
Reply 3
I just thought that perhaps a uni may understand that these are just predictions and as teachers can be wrong might make you an offer at the standard offer level if your GCSEs and personal statement are good.
Original post by Starlow
I just thought that perhaps a uni may understand that these are just predictions and as teachers can be wrong might make you an offer at the standard offer level if your GCSEs and personal statement are good.

The point of predictions is to gove the Uni an idea of your potential - they need this so they dont waste offers on folk with no hope of getting the required grades.
Warwick will fairy regularly give aspirational offers to students predicted one grade below their entry requirements, but two grades is a push and is likely to be a very risky option.
Original post by Starlow
Hi,
Thanks

The only thing that could help is if you are eligible for the widening participation and outreach programme you could get the entry requirements bumped down. If not, then you may have to speak to your teachers about raising your predicted grades and what they feel is reasonable.
Other than that there's not much - Warwick is very strict with their entry requirements
Reply 7
Thanks all!

Last week's exam score from Maths was 72% so I think the school needs to be asked to consider upping that A prediction to an A*.
Reply 8
Original post by Admit-One
Warwick will fairy regularly give aspirational offers to students predicted one grade below their entry requirements, but two grades is a push and is likely to be a very risky option.

Should I apply to Durham for accounting and finance if my GCSEs are 76554443332 and my btec prediction is DDD and I meet the grade 7 gcse maths requirement? They need DDD minimum for their course! Apparently it’s hard to get into so I am not sure if I should bother applying!
Original post by Bazz78
Should I apply to Durham for accounting and finance if my GCSEs are 76554443332 and my btec prediction is DDD and I meet the grade 7 gcse maths requirement? They need DDD minimum for their course! Apparently it’s hard to get into so I am not sure if I should bother applying!

I don’t have any insight of Durham specifically, but ACCYFIN in general is typically pretty competitive.

It really depends how sensible the rest of your choices are. There’s no harm in having one or two aspirational choices. The only way to give yourself no chance at all is to not apply.

Quick Reply

Latest