aliyah.04x
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
do you think i can put cancer biomedicine at ucl as my 5th choice without saying any interest in cancer in my personal statement? i'm not really opposed of regular biomed as my 5th choice but i feel like the cancer biomed course at ucl would give me more career choices afterwards. pharmacy & optometry would obvioulsy automatically reject me as my ps is not directed to them but would cancer biomed do the same?
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by aliyah.04x)
do you think i can put cancer biomedicine at ucl as my 5th choice without saying any interest in cancer in my personal statement? i'm not really opposed of regular biomed as my 5th choice but i feel like the cancer biomed course at ucl would give me more career choices afterwards. pharmacy & optometry would obvioulsy automatically reject me as my ps is not directed to them but would cancer biomed do the same?
No one should pick a 5th, non medicine choice. never ever do a random degree with the sole aim for graduate entry medicine because it'll take longer, cost more and (most importantly) will be much more competitive

Also, if you don't have a 5th choice you may be eligible for Clearing - some medicine courses go into clearing.

Bottom line: don't pick a 5th choice, if unsuccessful just take a gap year and reapply next year... unless you wanted to give up in medicine.
Last edited by ecolier; 1 week ago
WazzWazz98
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
not necessarily, i know a friend who got into manchester med who put optom at manchester for their fifth and got accepted for both depending on final grades
dont know if all med schools would do this
if you want to go into cancer biomed as a career failing med this year than that is fine, but i agree with the above user, that if you have your heart set on med then reapply next year and avoid a fifth choice
Last edited by WazzWazz98; 1 week ago
aliyah.04x
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by WazzWazz98)
not necessarily, i know a friend who got into manchester med who put optom at manchester for their fifth and got accepted for both depending on final grades
dont know if all med schools would do this
if you want to go into cancer biomed as a career failing med this year than that is fine, but i agree with the above user, that if you have your heart set on med then reapply next year and avoid a fifth choice
my school are saying i have to do a 5th. so do you think biomedical science at ucl is more medicine-like than cancer biomedicine?
WazzWazz98
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
my school are saying i have to do a 5th. so do you think biomedical science at ucl is more medicine-like than cancer biomedicine?
i dont know in all honesty, apologies
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
They are jeopardising your medical career options.

I would just pick randomly and then withdraw from that 5th choice.

Remember, schools are incentivised for students to enter university (preferably Russell Group, whatever the course). They don't care that you didn't get into medicine and that your journey to med will be much, much tougher after your degree. But for your personal future, take that gap year if you're unsuccessful - schools won't like it but it's much easier for you.
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Then go for PPE at Oxford. Likely to save you having to withdraw or reject it :lol:
Rob8123
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Very sorry i am lost a little here - i too was advised by my school (a very avg one who doesnt have much attainment to Uni and certainly not Medicine) to add a non medicine degree as my 5th UCAS choice (eg Medical Sciences - that if need be i could then leverage post grad into Medicine proper). I appreciate it means a longer study - but if i dont get interview / offer to Medicine this is another avenue right?

For example:
https://www.swansea.ac.uk/medicine/p...s-fifth-choice

Can you explain why this is not advised?
Are you certain about this?!

Rob
Rob8123
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
And
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...fth-choice.pdf
And
https://www.themedicportal.com/blog/...h-ucas-choice/
AND
https://6med.co.uk/guides/the-fifth-ucas-choice/
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Rob8123)
Very sorry i am lost a little here - i too was advised by my school (a very avg one who doesnt have much attainment to Uni and certainly not Medicine) to add a non medicine degree as my 5th UCAS choice (eg Medical Sciences - that if need be i could then leverage post grad into Medicine proper). I appreciate it means a longer study - but if i dont get interview / offer to Medicine this is another avenue right?

For example:
https://www.swansea.ac.uk/medicine/p...s-fifth-choice

Can you explain why this is not advised?
Are you certain about this?!

Rob
To get into medicine as a school leaver is perfectly possible with AAA and a 2500 UCAT (could have 4 or 5 options). A UCAT of 2900 would get you an interview at any med school that just use UCAT to shortlist.
For GEM, 2500 would get you zero interviews, and last year, 2900 would probably only get you 1, unless you have a 1st, ABB A levels and 3 years of work, when you may have got a 2nd.
Or you sit the GAMSAT, which costs and arm and a leg and is degree level science.
If you do get to interview, the chance of an offer is about half that of standard entry medicine, as it is much more competitive, with lower interview to offer ratios. There are also people interviewing with PhDs and years of healthcare work experience.

So GEM is an option, but should not be used for those who know they want to do medicine at school leaver stage, as they are just making things much more difficult, taking more time and costing more money if they then aim for GEM. Taking a gap year means a chance to earn some money, get some experience and prep better for admissions tests, meaning you have a better chance of a place 2nd time round. If you cannot make cut offs as a school leaver, the standards required for GEM are going to take quite some reaching!
Anfal986
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I want to do medicine but I done have advance highers because I came last year in uk and have completed my S5 with national 5s and now in S6 I’m doing highers.I have contacted colleges as well if they offer advance highers or not but they do not .Any suggestions where I can do my advance highers.
I have also contacted unis that run programs for medicine like gateway 2 medicine but I’m not elegible for that as well.So any suggestions what should I do or not😶
flamingolover
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I applied to vet med so that’s what my personal statement was tailored towards and my 5th choice was marine biology so it should be fine!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (53)
14.25%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (94)
25.27%
I'm a bit unsure (66)
17.74%
I'm finding things difficult (127)
34.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
8.6%

Watched Threads