The Student Room Group

Short-term birth control?

My boyfriend and I study at different universities, so we’re long-distance most of the time at the moment. He’s coming over to see me for the weekend sometime this month and it’s likely that we’ll want to have sex. When we started dating, we agreed that we won’t do anything that comes with a considerable risk of me getting pregnant unless I’m on some kind of birth control. What is the best option for me in this situation? We probably won’t be doing it for a month or longer after he goes back home, until one of us can visit the other again. I have a prescription for the progesterone-only pill which I can take, but I’m wondering if it’s worth taking constantly for the occasional weekend of sex. Obviously it’d be different if we lived together, in which case I would just take the pill. Is it possible for me to go on the pill in advance of him visiting and then off until we plan to meet again? Or are there major disadvantages to going on and off it periodically?
Original post by Anonymous
My boyfriend and I study at different universities, so we’re long-distance most of the time at the moment. He’s coming over to see me for the weekend sometime this month and it’s likely that we’ll want to have sex. When we started dating, we agreed that we won’t do anything that comes with a considerable risk of me getting pregnant unless I’m on some kind of birth control. What is the best option for me in this situation? We probably won’t be doing it for a month or longer after he goes back home, until one of us can visit the other again. I have a prescription for the progesterone-only pill which I can take, but I’m wondering if it’s worth taking constantly for the occasional weekend of sex. Obviously it’d be different if we lived together, in which case I would just take the pill. Is it possible for me to go on the pill in advance of him visiting and then off until we plan to meet again? Or are there major disadvantages to going on and off it periodically?

Hi

Take the pill as it will take good few days or so to build up good protection although it starts soon as you take it. Yes keep taking it regardless if only occasionally you having sex.

The body needs time to adjust with you taking the pill okay. Don't start and stop it as you body will take time to readjust back to pre pill level. It take about 3 months for your body to be fully use to it ok and can be similar if coming of it.

Use extra protection as well ( him use a condom ) as all contrecptive birth control are not 100% preventable of pregnancy risks as only 99% preventive, leaving 1% chance of pregnancy okay,
Be sensible till both ready to have kids .

A NHS registered midwife x
You could just use condoms?

I suggest that he just wears a condom.
Reply 4
Original post by black tea
You could just use condoms?

I know this is probably the most straightforward option, but I’m very worried about even the small chance of pregnancy, (which is greater than the theoretical 1% in reality) in case the condom splits or something else goes wrong. I’m not emotionally prepared for that outcome at all right now, and I want to use two methods just to be on the safer side so we can both relax and enjoy the experience.
I know this is probably the most straightforward option, but I’m very worried about even the small chance of pregnancy, (which is greater than the theoretical 1% in reality) in case the condom splits or something else goes wrong. I’m not emotionally prepared for that outcome at all right now, and I want to use two methods just to be on the safer side so we can both relax and enjoy the experience.

In that case, you should consider looking into long-acting contraception like the implant or coil as they are the most effective at preventing pregnancy with typical use. Stopping and starting the pill is really not a good option and introduces lots of opportunity for error plus will screw up your hormones and probably make your periods super irregular and unpredictable.

The NHS website has a really good information section on contraception if you haven't checked it out already:
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/contraception/how-effective-contraception/
Reply 6
Original post by black tea
In that case, you should consider looking into long-acting contraception like the implant or coil as they are the most effective at preventing pregnancy with typical use. Stopping and starting the pill is really not a good option and introduces lots of opportunity for error plus will screw up your hormones and probably make your periods super irregular and unpredictable.

The NHS website has a really good information section on contraception if you haven't checked it out already:
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/contraception/how-effective-contraception/

Thanks, I’m going to look into getting a coil over the next couple of months. Until then, I’ll go on the pill just to be safe.

Quick Reply

Latest