Chronic illness at work

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi all, a very difficult situation I am in and I appreciate any advice you can give.
I’m 20 years old and have been suffering with nausea and vomiting for the past 4 years. I was able to persevere through my GCSEs and A-Levels and achieved well. I then decided to join a big 4 internship where I work full time while I study towards an accounting qualification. I lasted 5 months before having to go on long term sick leave for a year due to illness. Through this time there were investigations etc but my condition was relatively unchanged.
I came back to work for half days and worked up from there. I’ve had some absences here and there due to the illness in the last 8/9 months but it has got very bad from last week.
Because of my ill health, I’m not able to study which is stressing me out (passing exams is tied to my contract). I don’t have much of a life outside of work either due to being frequently ill with low mood and fatigue. I had a flare up of constant vomiting all last week and although the vomiting has slowed down I’m not 100% and have been in work this week for 2 days and feel it is going to repeat.
I feel hopeless because I work really hard in the job but work say ‘health is wealth’ and I am struggling to cope. I don’t want to lose the job I worked so hard for but I’m deteriorating and can’t continue going on like this.
Any advice? Long term sick leave again? Leave job? Suck it up? I’ll be speaking to occupational health next week too.
Dentaldreams
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey, I’m sorry that you’re going through this, I can’t begin to imagine how you feel.

Don’t give up your job, especially since you worked so hard and if you enjoy it.
I don’t want to say suck it up, but maybe take some time to reevaluate things, time for yourself. I understand that exams are tied to your job, can they grant you an extension at all? Taking your health into consideration?

It’s really tough but try and stay strong because surely you have better days ahead!!

Also can I advise that you have mints or chewing gum to help with the nausea, you probably already do, but just in case you don’t, I know it definitely helps with myself.

Take care and stay positive x
BrainDrain
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You seem to be with a decent company who realise you are trying your best whilst battling a dreadful illness. No one could possibly ask more from you, I wonder if they would allow you to work from home on days you are unsure about health wise.

Hoping for a cure is your best bet but after more than four years of suffering you must be really despondent about it, but try to keep positive, it seems to be one of those conditions that is hard to figure out the cause, and a case of trial and error, maybe a fresh consultant or a scan can finally track it down.

As for should you give up the job you tried so hard to get, I would say no, unless you feel the job is making you feel anxious and contributing to your illness, otherwise keep going, when you are well and able, go the extra mile to show you are keen and grateful and stick it out until they decide its not working.
I feel for you and hope your situation improves soon ....good luck.
Last edited by BrainDrain; 2 weeks ago
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
As someone with chronic illness, I really think anyone with a chronic health issue should get counselling, particularly if they're struggling to cope. It's been important and incredibly necessary for me to have therapy to help manage myself emotionally to be more able to cope mentally with being unwell.

Take care.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I spoke with my manager and we decided to push the exams back so I can focus on getting my health to a better place.

I feel relieved that I don’t have the exam stress now but am still ill after deciding to work through being unwell.
Dentaldreams
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

I spoke with my manager and we decided to push the exams back so I can focus on getting my health to a better place.

I feel relieved that I don’t have the exam stress now but am still ill after deciding to work through being unwell.
Aw I’m glad that you’ve been able to work things out. Don’t worry, you may not feel well yet but you’ll get there x
BrainDrain
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

That sounds a positive move and they are being helpful and considerate too.
It is an illness with lots of possible triggers, stress being one of them, so see how much better you are without the exam pressure. Not sure if it would help but I have a friend who doesn't eat anything one day every week to give his stomach a rest, and I suffer with hiatus hernia acid reflux, I realise this is different than you have, but I raised my bed by putting a brick under the top end, and this helps me.
Glad you have had some good news and hope it helps you.
Last edited by BrainDrain; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (121)
56.54%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (24)
11.21%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (26)
12.15%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (19)
8.88%
I haven't started researching yet (11)
5.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
6.07%

Watched Threads