GCSE online

Watch this thread
xengkay007
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi, I'm an adult and I want to study GCSE English and math online since I have some family obligations as well home. Can you suggest me the best website tool to study GCSE and get good grades/higher grades through distance learning? I saw NEC, OSC, Oxbridge and a lot more. I really don't know what to choose. Please help. thanks
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 months ago
As a private candidate, you want to be doing IGCSE English Language rather than GCSE, as the IGCSE is purely exam based, whereas the GCSE has a speaking component which some exam centres may not accommodate.

Maths is your choice - IGCSE or GCSE, it's up to you.

I very strongly recommend Conquer Maths if you want to self-study, or Absolute Maths if you're looking for a zoom style class.

For English, Catherine Mooney is considered a good distance learning tutor but it's mostly self-study from what I hear.
Absorb Online Learning is another option, sort of ebook style.
If you prefer live zoom style classes, then Homemade Education is excellent.
xengkay007
Rep:
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
As a private candidate, you want to be doing IGCSE English Language rather than GCSE, as the IGCSE is purely exam based, whereas the GCSE has a speaking component which some exam centres may not accommodate.

Maths is your choice - IGCSE or GCSE, it's up to you.

I very strongly recommend Conquer Maths if you want to self-study, or Absolute Maths if you're looking for a zoom style class.

For English, Catherine Mooney is considered a good distance learning tutor but it's mostly self-study from what I hear.
Absorb Online Learning is another option, sort of ebook style.
If you prefer live zoom style classes, then Homemade Education is excellent.
Actually English is my second language. Just new here in UK for 2 years. I also want to improve my speaking and listening skills, so better to study in absorb online learning or homemade education for GCSE English language?
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by xengkay007)
Actually English is my second language. Just new here in UK for 2 years. I also want to improve my speaking and listening skills, so better to study in absorb online learning or homemade education for GCSE English language?
Out of the two for IGCSE English Language, I would say Homemade Education will suit you better, as it is a live class so you can listen to the way words are pronounced. Absorb on the other hand is just e-textbook style so you would be doing mostly reading.

In terms of speaking, I haven't yet found a course which allows for this, as even Homemade Education only has the teacher's microphone on, not the student's. (Students can communicate via the chat box during the lesson).
If you're wanting to practice speaking, you'd probably need a one-to-one tutor, or just generally find people around to you to practice with! After all, you are in England now, so there are many ways you can practice speaking by talking to people.
xengkay007
Rep:
I message the homemade education in FB but unfortunately they only offer it for children at the moment
EOData
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
Go for GCSE Maths not IGCSE. The exams are cheaper and your choice of possible centres will be far greater. Edexcel is the most popular specification https://qualifications.pearson.com/e...tics-2015.html
xengkay007
Rep:
(Original post by EOData)
Go for GCSE Maths not IGCSE. The exams are cheaper and your choice of possible centres will be far greater. Edexcel is the most popular specification https://qualifications.pearson.com/e...tics-2015.html
I saw some post they consider ICS learning, is this a good choice? I was looking for affordable yet the best provider with great support.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (72)
67.29%
No (26)
24.3%
I didn't use it to prepare (9)
8.41%

Watched Threads