The Student Room Group

I’m a mature student with only GCSEs

I’m 24 and finally decided to go back into education, I got a D in English so I’ve enrolled in my local college to resit it this year, my plan is to do an access course if I pass my English, but I’m a little worried I have been out the education system a while now and I’m wanting to do science/biology leading to marine biology or zoology in university, but it been 5 years or more since I’ve studied science I got good grades but I’ve been in the working world since then and I was wondering what I can do to recap and relearn so of the science basics (e.g. certain books, or websites which would help on the run up to an access course) I don’t want to go in clueless .
Reply 1
Do you have other GCSE’s? If you do, you might be allowed into an access course, failing that, a pre access course. I wouldn’t worry about the D in English as you’re going into sciences. Of course you need to have a good standard of English, particularly in a degree. Just enquire with your current credentials, an access course is a fantastic way of getting into university.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by SteffD98
Do you have other GCSE’s? If you do, you might be allowed into an access course, failing that, a pre access course. I wouldn’t worry about the D in English as you’re going into sciences. Of course you need to have a good standard of English, particularly in a degree. Just enquire with your current credentials, an access course is a fantastic way of getting into university.

2 Maths GCSEs which are Bs
2 science GCSEs which are Bs
Geography, Bacs and stats which are Cs

I don’t know any thing about a pre access course, I think I’m too late in the game for an access course this year now, so I thought the English was a starting point, is a pre-access course a level 2 thing I imagine ?

Thank you for getting back to me
Original post by SteffD98
If you do, you might be allowed into an access course, failing that, a pre access course. I wouldn’t worry about the D in English as you’re going into sciences.

Most decent universities would require a pass (Grade 5 or higher) in maths and English, for any degree programme.
Original post by Pie482
2 Maths GCSEs which are Bs
2 science GCSEs which are Bs
Geography, Bacs and stats which are Cs

I don’t know any thing about a pre access course, I think I’m too late in the game for an access course this year now, so I thought the English was a starting point, is a pre-access course a level 2 thing I imagine ?

Thank you for getting back to me

An Access course would be fine to go straight into if it's only been five years, and you have decent GCSEs in sciences/maths (which you have). If you wanted to do some preliminary work, you could always get hold of some GCSE books (the CGP ones are good) and revise the Higher Tier GCSE content for chemistry, biology and maths in your own time. Alternatively, use one of the many online resources to revise this content, such as Seneca or Oak Academy. The better understanding you have of underpinning GCSE science and maths, the easier you'll find the Access course - which of course should lead to your getting a better result. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending