therealtara
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Has anyone taken both Biology and Computer Science for A - level :

I really need some advice on what to take, and my acception rate into unis like imperial and cambridge. I mean, I'm quite set on Imperial, because it's good in both departments of medicine and computer science. But, Idk what i should do. If anyone does both, could you tell me a little bit about both, which one you prefer and which is more enjoyable at A-Level.

This whole debate has been crushing me and has increased my stress. I genuinely need help!!
bas__
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by therealtara)
Has anyone taken both Biology and Computer Science for A - level :

I really need some advice on what to take, and my acception rate into unis like imperial and cambridge. I mean, I'm quite set on Imperial, because it's good in both departments of medicine and computer science. But, Idk what i should do. If anyone does both, could you tell me a little bit about both, which one you prefer and which is more enjoyable at A-Level.

This whole debate has been crushing me and has increased my stress. I genuinely need help!!
I've done both, with an A in OCR B Bio and a B in OCR Compsci(currently resitting it).

Content-wise bio is a lot longer, but I found that it wasn't significantly harder than triple bio. it pretty much just goes into a lot more detail with everything. If you enjoyed triple bio, you'll enjoy A-Level bio. As long as you stay on top of the work, and put in effort from the start, it's manageable.
I didn't do GCSE CS so I can't compare the content size, but it does have a lot less content than bio. However, I didn't find this as enjoyable, mainly due to the way it was taught at my school.

It's hard to recommend which one should be picked over the other (and I think it comes down to your other A-Level choices). It isn't necessary for you to study CS at A-Level in order to go study it at Uni as most Unis start teaching CS from scrap, and they often value Maths more. You do need to do Bio (alongside Chem) to be able to do medicine. Imperial wants A*A*A with an A* in mathematics as a required subject for CS, or AAA with Chem and Bio as required subjects for medicine.
therealtara
Rep:
?
(Original post by bas__)
I've done both, with an A in OCR B Bio and a B in OCR Compsci(currently resitting it).

Content-wise bio is a lot longer, but I found that it wasn't significantly harder than triple bio. it pretty much just goes into a lot more detail with everything. If you enjoyed triple bio, you'll enjoy A-Level bio. As long as you stay on top of the work, and put in effort from the start, it's manageable.
I didn't do GCSE CS so I can't compare the content size, but it does have a lot less content than bio. However, I didn't find this as enjoyable, mainly due to the way it was taught at my school.

It's hard to recommend which one should be picked over the other (and I think it comes down to your other A-Level choices). It isn't necessary for you to study CS at A-Level in order to go study it at Uni as most Unis start teaching CS from scrap, and they often value Maths more. You do need to do Bio (alongside Chem) to be able to do medicine. Imperial wants A*A*A with an A* in mathematics as a required subject for CS, or AAA with Chem and Bio as required subjects for medicine.
yeah, I'm doing chem, maths and further maths for my other 3. what do you reccomend i do?
bas__
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
yeah, I'm doing chem, maths and further maths for my other 3. what do you reccomend i do?
Ahhh so I'm assuming you'll do 4 then drop one maybe? I suggest you take the bio. if you don't do bio, you won't be able to apply for medicine if that's what you end up deciding to do. You can still apply for CS because you're taking maths
therealtara
Rep:
?
(Original post by bas__)
Ahhh so I'm assuming you'll do 4 then drop one maybe? I suggest you take the bio. if you don't do bio, you won't be able to apply for medicine if that's what you end up deciding to do. You can still apply for CS because you're taking maths
That's really useful thank you - just one more question tho - is the Bio a-level very essay like? Because I can't do essay questions.
bas__
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
That's really useful thank you - just one more question tho - is the Bio a-level very essay like? Because I can't do essay questions.
Not at all. The most you'll find in bio is 6 markers.
therealtara
Rep:
?
Ah, okay. But generally, do you think I should do Computer Science or Biology for A Level? I enjoy both but don't want to do both.
_Mortex_
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Ah, okay. But generally, do you think I should do Computer Science or Biology for A Level? I enjoy both but don't want to do both.
I was in the exact same predicament as you are. I wanted to do Medicine initially then changed my mind midway through year 12. I do Bio, Chem and Maths for A level, and am applying to imperial as well for computer science. Maths is the only essential subject for computer science, and Bio Chem are both essential for medicine. If you are unsure about what to do, whether its medicine or computer science, definitely do Biology, as it is required. Though A level computer science will introduce you to computer science itself if you haven't had any exposure to it before hand, universities start from the very basics when teaching it to you so it isn't a necessity.
therealtara
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by _Mortex_)
I was in the exact same predicament as you are. I wanted to do Medicine initially then changed my mind midway through year 12. I do Bio, Chem and Maths for A level, and am applying to imperial as well for computer science. Maths is the only essential subject for computer science, and Bio Chem are both essential for medicine. If you are unsure about what to do, whether its medicine or computer science, definitely do Biology, as it is required. Though A level computer science will introduce you to computer science itself if you haven't had any exposure to it before hand, universities start from the very basics when teaching it to you so it isn't a necessity.
That is really good advice - thank you. It's just that i feel i'll do better and enjoy comp sci more than bio, for my a-levels
bas__
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
That is really good advice - thank you. It's just that i feel i'll do better and enjoy comp sci more than bio, for my a-levels
Bio is still very enjoyable at A-Level. If you're unable to decide between med and CompSci, its better you go with Maths, Chem, and Bio so that you have up until September y13 to decide what to do at Uni
therealtara
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by bas__)
Bio is still very enjoyable at A-Level. If you're unable to decide between med and CompSci, its better you go with Maths, Chem, and Bio so that you have up until September y13 to decide what to do at Uni
that's a good point.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (34)
87.18%
No (5)
12.82%

Watched Threads