The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You could put it down as he went to university. The people won't know what your dad's situation is.
fivebyfive
Hey,

Am filling out some forms and am not sure what to put for this. My Dad did go to University but had to drop out in the second year due to financial trouble. What should i put this down as?

Thanks

My Dad went ot uni but dropped out as he was a lazy ****. :rolleyes: I'd say put down yes for you (as he obviously valued the experince and that's what it's about, whether you were held back etc). I can't exactly say I was held back :biggrin:
Reply 3
platinumki
My Dad went ot uni but dropped out as he was a lazy ****. :rolleyes:

Lol, so did mine! Or rather, he was kicked out! My mum went, but only a year ago to do a nursing diploma
Reply 4
My dad went to Manchester poly to do an a dipoloma so he could become a librarian. When I was filling out those forms I asked them at university and they said that you have to say yes if your parents have got any experience of higher education at any level.
Nope, my mum has an A-level.
Reply 6
amazingtrade
My dad went to Manchester poly to do an a dipoloma so he could become a librarian. When I was filling out those forms I asked them at university and they said that you have to say yes if your parents have got any experience of higher education at any level.

My dad did the librarian's diploma at Newcastle (Northumbria, when it was a poly). I didn't realise that that counted as HE :confused:
Reply 7
Polytechnics are kind of universities in those days and counted as HE.
Reply 8
Yep thats true. It is actually a level 4 qualification. These days to go the librarians diploma you must have an undergraduate degree of at least 2:2, in my dads day you needed two Es at A level. My dad also had an offer to read maths at Cambridge but he found the pub better than revising so didn't do that well in his A levels despite being head boy and getting the highest grades at one of the best grammar schools in the country.

The irony is now you don't need any qualifications to do my dads job and in some ways he earns more money than he used as a senior librarian.
Both although only one graduating.
Reply 10
Neither
My dad went to Oxford.
nope
Reply 13
my dad went to uni...then dropped out, then started again.

if you want to be sneaky, you could say no because you get some more financial aid if you are the first in your family to go onto higher education, i think.
Reply 14
My dad did a chemistry degree, and my mum went to a teaching college to qualify as a primary school teacher. Funnily enough, if she had her O-level and A-level grades these days, she wouldn't be allowed to do teaching at all, yet she's a deputy head and a leading maths teacher in the area (which I find hilarious considering she couldn't even tell you what pythagoras' theory is)!
Nope, no-one in my family has ever been to uni. If I get in, I'll be the first :redface: My Dad only has 2 O-levels in English and maths, and my mum has a mixture of O-levels and CSEs.
Reply 16
Chicken
My dad did a chemistry degree, and my mum went to a teaching college to qualify as a primary school teacher. Funnily enough, if she had her O-level and A-level grades these days, she wouldn't be allowed to do teaching at all, yet she's a deputy head and a leading maths teacher in the area (which I find hilarious considering she couldn't even tell you what pythagoras' theory is)!

my mums like that... she did so badly on her 2 a levels that she took and messed up half her o levels and she's a teacher too.

my dad failed uni twice then transferred onto a different course and eventually passed :cool: what i find funny is that he did civil engineering at paisley (pretty poo), my ex-bfs dad did it at cambridge abnd my dad has a much better job... i guess the uni isn't everything, you've got to have the right opportunities

lou xxx
Reply 17
lou p
my mums like that... she did so badly on her 2 a levels that she took and messed up half her o levels and she's a teacher too.

my dad failed uni twice then transferred onto a different course and eventually passed :cool: what i find funny is that he did civil engineering at paisley (pretty poo), my ex-bfs dad did it at cambridge abnd my dad has a much better job... i guess the uni isn't everything, you've got to have the right opportunities

lou xxx

My dad did his A-Levels, and got quite bad grades (got an E in chemistry), so he took a year out (as he was 17 when he did his A-Levels anyway), and retook the exam twice, still got E's both times...in the end he got accepted into uni, did his chemistry degree and ended up with a 2i. Which proves grades aren't everything!
My Dad failed the 11-Plus and has no O-Levels or A-Levels. He does, however, have a degree.
PQ
Nope

You *might* be eligible for some grants that are available....but if people are giving you money based on your assertion they tend to check these things out:smile:

No, not really. Far more effort than it's worth to them. This question is to help determine your eligibility for the government's Opportunity Bursary, a payment of £2,000 over three years. To qualify, you must:
* be the first in your family to go to university
* qualify for maximum support (full loan and no fees)
* live in a (somewhat arbitrary) Education Action Zone.

My parents never received higher education, and I receive a bursary.

Latest

Trending

Trending