Spanish a level help

Watch this thread
annaolivex
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi I'm teaching myself A Level Spanish for year 12 and 13 and I'm SO confused as to what I'm supposed to learn.

Do I have to learn lots of information/facts about the topics (Los combos en la famila etc.)? And what am I gonna need it for? Will I be tested on these facts in speaking or listening/writing/reading?

Do I just work through the textbook and learn vocab and grammar (plus the film and book and IRP) or do I have to memorise lots of specific information (for example, facts about la emancipation?).

Also I don't fully understand the speaking exam? What will the cards be about?

Please help as I am SO LOST
simxne_
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
Which exam board are you using?
annaolivex
Rep:
(Original post by simxne_)
Which exam board are you using?
AQA
simxne_
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
So in your speaking exam, one of the components you are assessed on is your AO4 knowledge. You are expected to have some extra knowledge across all units so that you can use the relevant knowledge when you are in the exam. (Usually you can see that one of the questions on the photo card requires you to use your own knowledge). Having a few specific dates/statistics is also good (you could make them up, but they have to seem reasonable, and not obviously wrong). Your AO4 should not only be descriptive, but also justify a point of view or an opinion when in your exam.
An example:
Unit 1: Los valores tradicionales y modernos
• What the set-up of a family is like now and what it used to be like in a Spanish-speaking country
• Marriage now and in the past in a Spanish-speaking country (number of people who marry/why/do religious ceremonies take place/gay marriage)
• The role of the catholic church (generally and in people's everyday lives)

For the AS exam, you have 15 mins to prepare 2 photo cards. You are given 2 photo cards from the same unit/sub-theme and must pick 1 from these. You are also given 2 photo cards on 2 different units and must pick 1 from these. Each photo card has 3 questions and you should prepare a question to ask the examiner/teacher too. During the discussion, you will be asked extra questions also – when you have answered one of the questions you have prepared already, you can be asked questions related to that question to help you develop your answer. When you have answered all 3 questions, you may be asked extra questions depending on time – 6-7 mins per card.

The A level speaking exam I am not so sure about, but I think you get 5 mins to prepare 1 photo card (I’m not sure if you get to choose out of a few or not) and then you discuss it for 5-6 mins. You will also do your IRP. You do the presentation for 2 mins (I have a feeling you are supposed to do it from memory, but again, I’m not certain!) and then you will discuss your project for 9-10 mins afterwards… I think you do get to bring a certain amount of notes, but I don't know if that is just for the teacher or if you can look at it too.

Also, I think you are assessed for AO4 in the writing exam, when doing the essays about the book and film. (In AS, you just do one question on the one text you have studied).

Have you had a look at the AQA specification? Some of it is quite helpful as it breaks down the qualification into components. There is one for AS and a separate one for A level.

I hope that makes sense and helps 😊 If you have anymore questions I am happy to try and answer!
annaolivex
Rep:
(Original post by simxne_)
So in your speaking exam, one of the components you are assessed on is your AO4 knowledge. You are expected to have some extra knowledge across all units so that you can use the relevant knowledge when you are in the exam. (Usually you can see that one of the questions on the photo card requires you to use your own knowledge). Having a few specific dates/statistics is also good (you could make them up, but they have to seem reasonable, and not obviously wrong). Your AO4 should not only be descriptive, but also justify a point of view or an opinion when in your exam.
An example:
Unit 1: Los valores tradicionales y modernos
• What the set-up of a family is like now and what it used to be like in a Spanish-speaking country
• Marriage now and in the past in a Spanish-speaking country (number of people who marry/why/do religious ceremonies take place/gay marriage)
• The role of the catholic church (generally and in people's everyday lives)

For the AS exam, you have 15 mins to prepare 2 photo cards. You are given 2 photo cards from the same unit/sub-theme and must pick 1 from these. You are also given 2 photo cards on 2 different units and must pick 1 from these. Each photo card has 3 questions and you should prepare a question to ask the examiner/teacher too. During the discussion, you will be asked extra questions also – when you have answered one of the questions you have prepared already, you can be asked questions related to that question to help you develop your answer. When you have answered all 3 questions, you may be asked extra questions depending on time – 6-7 mins per card.

The A level speaking exam I am not so sure about, but I think you get 5 mins to prepare 1 photo card (I’m not sure if you get to choose out of a few or not) and then you discuss it for 5-6 mins. You will also do your IRP. You do the presentation for 2 mins (I have a feeling you are supposed to do it from memory, but again, I’m not certain!) and then you will discuss your project for 9-10 mins afterwards… I think you do get to bring a certain amount of notes, but I don't know if that is just for the teacher or if you can look at it too.

Also, I think you are assessed for AO4 in the writing exam, when doing the essays about the book and film. (In AS, you just do one question on the one text you have studied).

Have you had a look at the AQA specification? Some of it is quite helpful as it breaks down the qualification into components. There is one for AS and a separate one for A level.

I hope that makes sense and helps 😊 If you have anymore questions I am happy to try and answer!
Omg that’s super helpful, thank you so much !! 💕
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.92%
As I expected (24)
30.77%
Harder (29)
37.18%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
5.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise