The Student Room Group

budgeting

how much money do you think I should spend a week on food at uni? Is £20 enough?
I feel annoyed at myself when I go to the shops and use money (even when I don't spend too much)!!!!!!!!
(edited 2 years ago)
I spend about £52 for 2.5 weeks (I freeze everything). Most people I know spend £30-45 a week on food and that’s not including alcohol
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
£20 is not enough. £50 is more realistic
Reply 3
Original post by MonryMad
£20 is not enough. £50 is more realistic

£50 a week? Just on food and essentials?
(edited 2 years ago)
It depends upon your finances, location, health, diet and lifestyle preferences.
I am a lifelong Londoner and spent many of my student years living on a weekly budget below £29 after paying rent & bills.

Do you have access to savings or a regular monthly income?
Any special dietary requirements?
Do your prefer to homecook your meals, eat out at a restaurant or order takeaways?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by heart2you
how much money do you think I should spend a week on food at uni? Is £20 enough?
I feel annoyed at myself when I go to the shops and use money (even when I don't spend too much)!!!!!!!!

what sort of cooking facilities do you have and do you have a freezer to allow you to cook in bulk and freeze?
Reply 6
Original post by ReadingMum
what sort of cooking facilities do you have and do you have a freezer to allow you to cook in bulk and freeze?

I have an electric cooker, oven fridge, and yes I have a freezer
Reply 7
Original post by londonmyst
It depends upon your finances, location, health, diet and lifestyle preferences.
I am a lifelong Londoner and spent many of my student years living on a weekly budget below £29 after paying rent & bills.

Do you have access to savings or a regular monthly income?
Any special dietary requirements?
Do your prefer to homecook your meals, eat out at a restaurant or order takeaways?

I don't have savings or a regular monthly income
no special dietary requirements
I prefer to home-cook my meals
I don't have savings or a regular monthly income
no special dietary requirements
I prefer to home-cook my meals

How much is your maintainence loan eligibility after paying rent or daily travel?
If possible, try to set aside at least £15 a week in savings so that you have a fund for emergencies.
I'd recommend budgeting £30-£35 a week on groceries & toiletries and at least £50 a month for clothes/hobbies/nightlife.
Reply 9
Original post by londonmyst
How much is your maintainence loan eligibility after paying rent or daily travel?
If possible, try to set aside at least £15 a week in savings so that you have a fund for emergencies.
I'd recommend budgeting £30-£35 a week on groceries & toiletries and at least £50 a month for clothes/hobbies/nightlife.

well for my maintenance loan, I had to pay 40% of my accommodation last week which was £200 more than the maintenance loan paid to me (there are 3 dates they'll pay me) so I don't have any maintenance loan left over now but I do have some money from my child trust fund.
I think I do have enough money to get me through the year but I'm just worried that I won't spend it wisely.

Also that for recommending me on how to budget
I have an electric cooker, oven fridge, and yes I have a freezer

That really helps as bigger packets of things are always cheaper. If you like to cook you can save a lot by batch cooking and padding out with extra veg. Homemade soup is a great way of making the pennies stretch further.
£50 a week? Just on food and essentials?

I wish my grocery bills came to just £50 a week :moon:

If you can club together with other students to buy essentials, this can cut down on the cost Try buying some giant bags of pasta, rice, - things like that between a group of you and divvy it out. You can benefit from buying large packs (which are usually cheaper per unit weight/volume) then, and not end up wasting half of it.
Reply 12

i know some people live on £15-25 but idk if they buy supplements? i think i would struggle going under £30.
i try not to go above £50.
In first year I lived like a king and spent £80 a week- think all sorts of fresh meats/fish from the local mongers of all varieties.

Nowadays (5th) it's closer to £40: still eat quite well, just less fish and more meat (cheaper) and more protein-heavy legumes.

Depends on where you live and if you can snag the bargains at the end of the week :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending