how do i ask for a reference for ucas

Watch
sunny_01
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm a bioscience graduate and very recently I decided to apply to medicine. the problem is all my undergrad years I've said that I want a career in academic research, even got 2 internships from uni. I don't know how to ask my personal tutor for a ref especially since the ucas deadline is so soon. since last year he has written reference after another for masters and phd programmes and I dont know how to 'break the news'. he's also one of the course leads for the course i did so idk if he'll take it badly.
I haven't thought about medicine since i graduated school and my application was unsuccessful. i was not sure that I'm going to apply until last week when i did the ucat and did okay even tho i did not prepare. im taking this as a sign, and to be honest, although i thought id enjoy the lab after 3 months i realised that i didn't.
Last edited by sunny_01; 2 weeks ago
Alin_03
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Do it! Even if he reacts badly, it's better than spending a year waiting for the next cycle and regretting it or being stuck in a lab when you really don't like it. It's your life at the end and a decision that will affect you ultimately. Just sit down with him and calmly explain why you'd like to apply for medicine instead (not that you owe him an explanation but just for him to be able to see your perspective of things). Make sure that you meet all requirements (e.g. a 2:1 in your degree etc) as I know some unis require the GAMSAT instead of the UCAT for grads + that the unis you're applying to accept 2nd time. Make sure you have a back up plan too.

Good luck with everything! xx
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by sunny_01)
I'm a bioscience graduate and very recently I decided to apply to medicine. the problem is all my undergrad years I've said that I want a career in academic research, even got 2 internships from uni. I don't know how to ask my personal tutor for a ref especially since the ucas deadline is so soon. since last year he has written reference after another for masters and phd programmes and I dont know how to 'break the news'. he's also one of the course leads for the course i did so idk if he'll take it badly.

I haven't thought about medicine since i graduated school and my application was unsuccessful. i was not sure that I'm going to apply until last week when i did the ucat and did okay even tho i did not prepare. im taking this as a sign, and to be honest, although i thought id enjoy the lab after 3 months i realised that i didn't.
If it were me I'd be glad you're deciding to do something rather sit around glumly with no plan for the future. Simply ask him.

Your motivations for choosing to do medicine are, unconventional, though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (167)
55.48%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (44)
14.62%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (33)
10.96%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
8.64%
I haven't started researching yet (17)
5.65%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (14)
4.65%

Watched Threads