The Student Room Group

Are these subjects too “soft”?

I'm taking A level sociology, A level Religious studies and A Level media. Could i still get into a Russell Group university with these A levels and study law?
LLB Law has no required subjects - you just need hight grades, so pick 3 subjects you will enjoy and where you feel confident of A grades.
Original post by sadem0
I'm taking A level sociology, A level Religious studies and A Level media. Could i still get into a Russell Group university with these A levels and study law?

Yes, although it would be preferable to have a subject like English language.
Original post by Hoc est Bellum

Unis do not state any preferred subjects and they do not favour any one subject over any other.
Please stop guessing.

Can you reference that anecdote for the OP?
Original post by McGinger
Unis do not state any preferred subjects and they do not favour any one subject over any other.
Please stop guessing.

https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/Admissions-Information

LSE lists media studies as a "common non-preferred subject" for their law course. They literally have a list stating which they prefer. Please ask before you insult.

Essay based courses such as English language will better prepare you for a degree in law where English comprehension is very important. This will also help on the admissions tests. You should generally chose subjects you prefer and are better at, but there ARE subjects that unis prefer.

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/what-a-levels-do-you-need-to-study-law#usefulAlevelsforlaw

"essay-based subjects such as history or English will set you in good stead for law at degree level."
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
Can you reference that anecdote for the OP?

Done
Done

https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/Admissions-Information

LSE lists media studies as a "common non-preferred subject" for their law course. They literally have a list stating which they prefer. Please ask before you insult.

The link you provided also says: "Some subjects provide a less effective preparation for study at LSE. We refer to these as non-preferred subjects; please see the list below for guidance. These subjects should only be offered in combination with two traditional academic subjects."

So the OP's A level choices seem to obey their guidance :smile:
Original post by Muttley79
The link you provided also says: "Some subjects provide a less effective preparation for study at LSE. We refer to these as non-preferred subjects; please see the list below for guidance. These subjects should only be offered in combination with two traditional academic subjects."

So the OP's A level choices seem to obey their guidance :smile:

I said that OP does meet the requirements. I just mentioned that it would be beneficial to have subjects like English language which I have provided references for.
Reply 10
I said that OP does meet the requirements. I just mentioned that it would be beneficial to have subjects like English language which I have provided references for.

I'm currently studying 2 of their "preferred" subjects, could I still get in?
Reply 11
Original post by McGinger
LLB Law has no required subjects - you just need hight grades, so pick 3 subjects you will enjoy and where you feel confident of A grades.

Okay, thanks
Original post by sadem0

Yes - just get the right grades :smile:
Original post by sadem0

Yes, you can. I would also like to mention that LSE is on the extreme side of entry requirements as it is one of the top unis. You would be able to get into all unis as far as I am aware (subject to getting the correct grades, scores etc).
(edited 2 years ago)
My IB HL's: Language A Turkish Literature - Global Politics - PsychologySL's: Math - Physics - Language A English Literature. Will these be seen as a strong combination for LSE or UCL Law?
Original post by hopeJun2022
My IB HL's: Language A Turkish Literature - Global Politics - PsychologySL's: Math - Physics - Language A English Literature. Will these be seen as a strong combination for LSE or UCL Law?

Yes they're fine, as noted previously in the thread law degrees have no specific subject requirements, and I think within the IB structure it's more or less impossible to end up taking a combination of subjects that are not mainly traditionally academic.
Original post by artful_lounger
Yes they're fine, as noted previously in the thread law degrees have no specific subject requirements, and I think within the IB structure it's more or less impossible to end up taking a combination of subjects that are not mainly traditionally academic.

Thanks.
You would be better off doing 3 traditional subjects. I did English literature, history and German for example.
Original post by sadem0

Check the websites of the Russel Group Uni's which you hope to attend

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending