Non-drinker at Uni, not making many friends

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’ve been at uni for two weeks now, and freshers was great but now my flat mates are going out every night and i’m just sat in my room.

I don’t really like going out tbh, I prefer a trip out with friends during the day etc

I know i should give it a chance but any tips on making friends and not feeling so alone?
tahsinkalam
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
maybe tell them how you feel, talking goes a long way
University of Surrey Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’ve been at uni for two weeks now, and freshers was great but now my flat mates are going out every night and i’m just sat in my room.

I don’t really like going out tbh, I prefer a trip out with friends during the day etc

I know i should give it a chance but any tips on making friends and not feeling so alone?
Hi there,

I completely understand how you feel. When I started university two years ago, I was very nervous and shy, so I found it harder to make friends and settle. However I made sure to look at the clubs and societies that are on offer to join. Have you been to freshers fair? Do you have any interests or hobbies? Joining societies are amazing ways of making friends and doing something you enjoy! Remember you are no alone, there are so many people in the same position as you! Maybe you could ask your flatmates to go for some lunch and do a daytime activity. I am sure they would be more than up for this

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any questions,
Becca (Psychology Student)
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep)
Hi there,

I completely understand how you feel. When I started university two years ago, I was very nervous and shy, so I found it harder to make friends and settle. However I made sure to look at the clubs and societies that are on offer to join. Have you been to freshers fair? Do you have any interests or hobbies? Joining societies are amazing ways of making friends and doing something you enjoy! Remember you are no alone, there are so many people in the same position as you! Maybe you could ask your flatmates to go for some lunch and do a daytime activity. I am sure they would be more than up for this

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any questions,
Becca (Psychology Student)
Hi!

Thank you for the advice! I have looked at joining a club it just hasn’t started yet but seems like a club where i could meet lots of friends, the social events of it aren’t just based on drinking and it’s something i enjoy!

I’m not a very outgoing person but don’t wanna miss out on the opportunities at uni

Thank you again!
University of Surrey Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi!

Thank you for the advice! I have looked at joining a club it just hasn’t started yet but seems like a club where i could meet lots of friends, the social events of it aren’t just based on drinking and it’s something i enjoy!

I’m not a very outgoing person but don’t wanna miss out on the opportunities at uni

Thank you again!
Hi there

That's ok! It's great to hear that you're looking to join a club. They are really great opportunities for you to meet friends, and the events will be suitable for everyone!

Becca
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago

Hi there,

I'm so sorry to hear that you're feeling alone

Have a look and see if your University has any societies that interest you. By getting involved in societies, you're able to chat to different people that aren't in your flat / on your course - which is fantastic! As well, have a look and see if there are any flexible student job roles around your university. I currently work as a Careers Coach for my University, and alongside making money I have the chance to meet and chat with fellow students (we often do meet ups and nights out too which is great!).

I hope that's given you something to think about, best of luck to you.

Ana
University of Liverpool Rep.
Anonymous #3
Report 6 days ago

You've got to actually go out to make friends. They aren't going to magically come while you're sat in your room all day. Stop moaning, get off your arse and go out
Anonymous #4
Report 5 days ago
Hi, I’m also struggling to make some friends and I’m not really sure how to lol, I’m not sure if this is weird or not but I’ll send my Snapchat if you want and we can become friends lol?
Anonymous #5
Report 5 days ago

Your not going to like this but coming from someone who was once a self-proclaimed loner in school to someone who has made well over 100 contacts during just the first year of university. The best way to make friends is

A) Actually want to make friends , sitting in your room all day is basically accepting your never going to make friends
B) Start a conversation with someone who looks like they could have similar interests
c) HOLD THE CONVERSATION , if you can continue that conversation for even 20mins . that person will defo will be more likely to invite you to things (so you can meet others) than if you simply just say "Hi and bye".

Like someone else said , if you don't want to leave your room then please don't be suprised when friends don't magically appear . I believe in you so get out there. Remember its way easier to make friends when everyone else is also looking to make friends such as now.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Bit ironic that the OP is asking about 'making friends', and everyone apart from the official uni reps has posted as Anonymous. Way to go to build a community... :facepalm2:
JA.02
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Bit ironic that the OP is asking about 'making friends', and everyone apart from the official uni reps has posted as Anonymous. Way to go to build a community... :facepalm2:
I didn’t mean to be anonymous lol I ticked it accidentally
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by JA.02)
I didn’t mean to be anonymous lol I ticked it accidentally
+1 for that
University of Bradford
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago

Hey!

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling alone at uni! I found it so difficult to make friends when I was a student as well, and preferred to focus on my studies rather than going out drinking. Everyone experiences uni differently, there's no right or wrong way, so I wouldn't put too much pressure on yourself!

There'll be lots of other people who don't drink either, or even if they do, I'm sure there'll be people who are definitely up for day time activities. Can you try organise something with your flat mates? Do you have a group chat you can suggest a plan in, or ask them in person? You could arrange a shopping trip, go to the cinemas or food, or even just go for a walk in a park.

It's great to hear you're looking at joining a club, be sure to keep an eye on all the events they have as well. Such a fab way of meeting new people who have a similar interest to you, making convo that bit easier

I wish you the best of luck with your uni journey!

Becky
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (130)
56.28%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (28)
12.12%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (28)
12.12%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (19)
8.23%
I haven't started researching yet (13)
5.63%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
5.63%

Watched Threads