The Student Room Group

Can I take Computer Science or Engineering without having done A-Level Maths

I have taken Computer Science, Physics and Product Design at 6th form, with core maths as a breadth, but many universities or apprenticeships require A-Level Maths too. I've found Manchester Uni and King's College are the only two that either don't need maths or consider core maths into the application
Reply 1
You’ll have to find the unis that don’t require it then. Some might say that it’s recommended but not required so you should look for that
Original post by jjaffff
I have taken Computer Science, Physics and Product Design at 6th form, with core maths as a breadth, but many universities or apprenticeships require A-Level Maths too. I've found Manchester Uni and King's College are the only two that either don't need maths or consider core maths into the application

You could look into a foundation year ...
If none of the above ideas work, consider doing your studies with the Open University. I have a HNC, so I could have got into 2nd year of most Engineering courses but my work and such mean the OU is my best option and I'm maybe 1/3 of the way through my MEng following the Electronics pathway.

They offer a vast range of pathways and are formally accredited by various professional bodies. Lower tuition fees too, if the notion of distance learning and a slightly heavier onus on managing your study methods works for you.
(edited 2 years ago)
Idk about engineering but for access to Computer Science you'll typically need one of Computer Science or Maths (Further Maths for top 5 unis)
Here are some unis that you could potentially study Computer Science at!!

-Lancaster University AAB (No subject requirements but for lower offers one must have Computer Science or Maths)
-Queen Mary University AAB (No subject requirements but for lower offers one must have Computer Science or Maths)
-Leicester University ABB (No subject requirements)
-Swansea University
-Uni of Nottingham AAA (No subject requirements)
-UEA - ABC (No subject requirements)
- Uni of Sussex - ABBB - BBCC
-Uni of Liverpool - Must have Maths or Computer Science
- Uni of Leeds - AAA Maths or Computing
- University of Reading

-Swansea University
-Newcastle University
-Kent University
-University of Worcester
-Birmingham City University

For Engineering (Civil)
I only know that UCL offers Engineering with no subject requirements but with the grades of A*AA

you can also try emailing unis to find out more about their entry requirements. I'm sure you'll be fine, Good luck!!
Reply 5
I'll look into those, thanks!
Which Manchester uni do you mean?
The university of Manchester have put their standard grades up to 3xA* including A* in maths for Computer Science 2022 entry!
Maths seems essential for lots of their engineering degrees too.
Original post by jjaffff

I dont see how you could study engineering without maths, you'll be doing calculus & linear algebra everyday in the degree. It really is essential preparation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending