The Student Room Group

[Official] Oxford Biomedical Sciences Applicants 2022

Hi,
I couldn’t find a thread for those applying to Oxford specifically for Biomedical sciences this year so I thought I’d make one!!

Here are some questions from last years thread you can always answer to introduce yourself:

Which college?

GCSE (or equivalent) grades:

A-level (or equivalent) subjects and predicted grades:

Why Biomed?

Any good books, resources, etc that you'd recommend?

What other unis are you applying to?

And how are you feeling about your application so far, both in general and in relation to the pandemic?

How are you preparing for the BMAT?
hey I've applied! have you heard back yet?
Hi I also applied. Haven’t heard back yet :frown:
How did you guy’s bmat go?
I don't think anyone has head back yet . Hoping interview decisions are going to come out tomorrow ! I'm pretty happy with my BMAT : 7.6 6.9 3A
How did you guy's BMAT go?
Another applicant here (:
BMAT went pretty well, 8.6 6.3 3.5A, but didn't have any issues completing it - feel awful for anyone who had major tech issues. fingers crossed for hearing tomorrow!!
wow you guys' BMAT scores are incredible!! really just wanting to hear something soon whether it's successful or not
anyone heard anything yet? Annoying that medicine applicants were told yesterday before us even though their interviews are later than ours would be. It'll be less than a week to prepare at this rate!
Original post by bfuller523
anyone heard anything yet? Annoying that medicine applicants were told yesterday before us even though their interviews are later than ours would be. It'll be less than a week to prepare at this rate!

Yeah, would be nice if we'd heard first given the interview dates! Nothing yet...
i just got an interview!!!!
Original post by georgiepowell.
i just got an interview!!!!

Same 😅
Got an interview !
i got rejected lmao
Interview here too!!! :smile:
What colleges are people's interviews at ?
Original post by J __ giraffe
What colleges are people's interviews at ?

St Hugh's and St Anne's, where are yours?
Original post by KatieBullen14
i got rejected lmao

Rip I got rejected from Oxford Physics yesterday myself lmao
Original post by electric_yeast
St Hugh's and St Anne's, where are yours?

Magdalen and Corpus Christi
How are people feeling about interviews ?
Reply 18
Original post by electric_yeast
Another applicant here (:
BMAT went pretty well, 8.6 6.3 3.5A, but didn't have any issues completing it - feel awful for anyone who had major tech issues. fingers crossed for hearing tomorrow!!

How did you prepare for BMAT?
Original post by GM.
How did you prepare for BMAT?

Started familiarising myself with exam structure in July, did a paper with zero prep to see what it was like. Worked on section 2 content knowledge and essays over the summer (read the mark scheme and practice a load of them in timed conditions - they only take 30 mins each, and then you know you can just whack them out easily and don't have to worry about practicing them much over the autumn!). Read the official question guide for section 1! Then Sep - Nov I just did a load of BMAT ninja questions, an essay and went over the questions I struggled on/got wrong one afternoon a week, and then a timed practice paper (and corrected it) every weekend. BMAT Ninja is fab and free, can find the papers that aren't on that site on the official BMAT website. I wouldn't skip out questions/try and make the old S1 papers reflect the current easier ones, if you practice the old ones as they are then you'll find the new ones as of 2020 fine!

If you run out of questions for section one or have an hour to spare somewhere, the TSA papers are great (many of these are on BMAT ninja) - try and do them in under the time limit to reflect how stressed you'll be on the day lol.

If you're worried about the essay, get a really basic philosophy of science book and have a read (lots of good examples for the themes that always come up), but I didn't even really use this in the actual exam - just knowing from practice that I could get something reasonable down for pretty much anything in 30mins was what helped me relax a bit lol.

I liked recording my score for each section of each paper every time I did one, and the BMAT score that translated to on that particular year's grade distribution (these are on the mark schemes you can find on the BMAT website I think?) - then you can see how much better you're getting. And recording all the hours you spend on it somewhere is great so that when someone goes 'wow, you must have just been lucky/really smart to get that score!' when you smash it, you can go 'no, I just worked really hard!' (:

Are you applying for this year? Good luck if so and thanks for the question, it's nice thinking all the prep might be useful to someone else (: if anyone else from this thread comes on again then pls add anything!

Quick Reply

Latest