CIFAS will i have to drop out?

Watch
ryrydaguyguy
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I have a CIFAS marker on record for being a dumbass and getting tricked into being a money jule. Classic post i know and i know this has been spoken about on here many times. I cannot no matter what seem to find a way to resolve this.

Im in the process of attempting to dispute even thoughh that seems futile i know. My main concern currently is my student finance. I CANNOT continue university without it as i need it to live. My Pockit accounts account number comes up as not valid currently and i dont know why as they are awful at responding. What other banks.options do i have to get my student loan.

Thanks and i know im very silly and stupid and i should not have done what i did. If i could take it all back i would but we were all stupid once,, some more than others...
LottieLot
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ryrydaguyguy)
I have a CIFAS marker on record for being a dumbass and getting tricked into being a money jule. Classic post i know and i know this has been spoken about on here many times. I cannot no matter what seem to find a way to resolve this.

Im in the process of attempting to dispute even thoughh that seems futile i know. My main concern currently is my student finance. I CANNOT continue university without it as i need it to live. My Pockit accounts account number comes up as not valid currently and i dont know why as they are awful at responding. What other banks.options do i have to get my student loan.

Thanks and i know im very silly and stupid and i should not have done what i did. If i could take it all back i would but we were all stupid once,, some more than others...
Hi,

Because you were involved in money muling, you now have a CIFAS Cat 6 Misuse of Facility marker (where the account has been obtained for fraudulent purposes). You may be aware of this but CIFAS markers will remain on your National Fraud Database for 6 years, which will mean you'll find it hard to get credit for over half a decade.

Your Pockit account will most likely close down because of the CIFAS marker since its issuer - PayrNet - is a member of CIFAS. You'll need to get a pre-paid card if you want a job. I'm afraid you cannot get your student loan on a pre-paid card since you'll need a mainstream bank account for the money to go into.

In terms of university, it depends on where you are and what year you're in. Where are you located outside of term time and what university are you currently at? If you're at a university near home, you can continue studying there.

If you're far from home and staying in accommodation, your best bet is talking to your parents, your personal tutor, the advice team at your university and your local Citizens Advice. I can't really tell you whether to drop out or not since I don't really know your circumstances. It's up to you what steps you want to take, but you need to think about this carefully. You'll have to think about how your student accommodation money will be paid (whether your parents, the guarantors, will send you money via your new pre-paid card). You can also transfer to a different university at the end of term so you can be nearer home and will save you money (my friends have done that before). Many people have been to university with a CIFAS marker and without a student loan.

Also, please IGNORE all those people who claim they can help you get rid of the CIFAS marker. They're scammers most likely seeking money for they'll usually ask you to pay them a fee to help get the CIFAS marker removed. They'll usually start the message with "Give me your Snapchat/Instagram and I'll DM you". If you receive these kinds of messages, stop and think. If a normal person wants to talk to you about how to remove a CIFAS marker, they'll tell you on this thread. Telling you to message them is a warning sign, a sign that they may be seeking your personal/financial information. They also claim that they can remove the markers easily, but here's the ugly truth: CIFAS markers are hard to remove. They can only be removed by the issuer (your bank). The removal process is long - it involves complaining then taking the complaint and your evidence to the Financial Ombudsman Service. Sadly, because you were complicit in fraud the FOS will take your bank's side and say the marker is deserved.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by LottieLot)
Hi,

Because you were involved in money muling, you now have a CIFAS Cat 6 Misuse of Facility marker (where the account has been obtained for fraudulent purposes). You may be aware of this but CIFAS markers will remain on your National Fraud Database for 6 years, which will mean you'll find it hard to get credit for over half a decade.

Your Pockit account will most likely close down because of the CIFAS marker since its issuer - PayrNet - is a member of CIFAS. You'll need to get a pre-paid card if you want a job. I'm afraid you cannot get your student loan on a pre-paid card since you'll need a mainstream bank account for the money to go into.

In terms of university, it depends on where you are and what year you're in. Where are you located outside of term time and what university are you currently at? If you're at a university near home, you can continue studying there.

If you're far from home and staying in accommodation, your best bet is talking to your parents, your personal tutor, the advice team at your university and your local Citizens Advice. I can't really tell you whether to drop out or not since I don't really know your circumstances. It's up to you what steps you want to take, but you need to think about this carefully. You'll have to think about how your student accommodation money will be paid (whether your parents, the guarantors, will send you money via your new pre-paid card). You can also transfer to a different university at the end of term so you can be nearer home and will save you money (my friends have done that before). Many people have been to university with a CIFAS marker and without a student loan.

Also, please IGNORE all those people who claim they can help you get rid of the CIFAS marker. They're scammers most likely seeking money for they'll usually ask you to pay them a fee to help get the CIFAS marker removed. They'll usually start the message with "Give me your Snapchat/Instagram and I'll DM you". If you receive these kinds of messages, stop and think. If a normal person wants to talk to you about how to remove a CIFAS marker, they'll tell you on this thread. Telling you to message them is a warning sign, a sign that they may be seeking your personal/financial information. They also claim that they can remove the markers easily, but here's the ugly truth: CIFAS markers are hard to remove. They can only be removed by the issuer (your bank). The removal process is long - it involves complaining then taking the complaint and your evidence to the Financial Ombudsman Service. Sadly, because you were complicit in fraud the FOS will take your bank's side and say the marker is deserved.
You don't know what category of CIFAS entry this person has, and you can't say what the outcome of any FoS complaint would be.
ryrydaguyguy
Rep:
The marker (after requesting my DSAR) is for third party fraud facilitator, I am currently disputing it like I say as I was tricked and naive thought I fully understand what I done was wrong and take responsibility. I’m a dumb kid that just wants another chance basically. Apart from that my pockit account remains open Althought there a pretty awful bank with 0 response to any emails for the last 10 days and that to everyone not just me. I spoke to Santander and they said try apply for our basic bank. Apart from that surely there must be an alternative

I live at uni far from home and have just started second year, leaving for me just isn’t an option I want to go down. There must be a bank or something that I can get this loan payed into. I appreciate anyone taking there time to respond to this post as I understand these posts crop up every other day. Really goes to show how big a problem money mule scams and lack of awareness around them are. Thank you for any advice.
martin7
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ryrydaguyguy)
My main concern currently is my student finance. I CANNOT continue university without it as i need it to live. My Pockit accounts account number comes up as not valid currently
Where is your account number coming up as "not valid"? On Pockit's site? On the student finance web site? Somewhere else?

Are you definitely specifying the correct sort code and account number? Apparently Pockit use more than one sort code, so make sure you're giving the correct one (don't just guess).
ryrydaguyguy
Rep:
(Original post by martin7)
Where is your account number coming up as "not valid"? On Pockit's site? On the student finance web site? Somewhere else?

Are you definitely specifying the correct sort code and account number? Apparently Pockit use more than one sort code, so make sure you're giving the correct one (don't just guess).
On the student finance website it comes up as not valid, I’m not sure why but if you look at pockits Twitter lots of people are having trouble transferring in currently, plus pockit sent an email saying transfers in weren’t working. But I don’t know if that would result in it coming up as account number invalid.

I started having this issue after they upgraded my account to an enhanced account to allow for my loan to fit. As before the daily limit was 3000. I’m using the correct account number and sort code at least the one they’ve given me currently anyway.
Unlucky77
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
You'll be fine please believe it's not the end of the world.
Open a revolut account for day to day or another prepaid card like suits me. These are both more reliable than pockit.
I believe suits me or revolut are more likely to work with student finance than pockit.
You can also go and open an account with your credit union to transfer your savings into, even using a trading broker like vanguard is a more safe way to hold your savings than a prepaid card. Just keep a standard spending amount in your prepaid cards.

If you want a real bank account I've found HLB and UBL that will open you a proper current account but there's a large minimum balance and you can't transfer to other people easily so you would most likely need to use prepaid cards on the side anyway. Don't bother trying to apply to any reputable banks, lots of rejected applications on your record will be bad for you even after the marker expires.

Seriously though, you will survive and you will get through uni and start working with no problem. There are thousands of these markers applied every year.
struggler07
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Unlucky77)
You'll be fine please believe it's not the end of the world.
Open a revolut account for day to day or another prepaid card like suits me. These are both more reliable than pockit.
I believe suits me or revolut are more likely to work with student finance than pockit.
You can also go and open an account with your credit union to transfer your savings into, even using a trading broker like vanguard is a more safe way to hold your savings than a prepaid card. Just keep a standard spending amount in your prepaid cards.

If you want a real bank account I've found HLB and UBL that will open you a proper current account but there's a large minimum balance and you can't transfer to other people easily so you would most likely need to use prepaid cards on the side anyway. Don't bother trying to apply to any reputable banks, lots of rejected applications on your record will be bad for you even after the marker expires.

Seriously though, you will survive and you will get through uni and start working with no problem. There are thousands of these markers applied every year.
Revolut and lot of prepaid cards are on the cifas list
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by iamanumpty)
You cannot physically state that all of these pages offering help to remove Cifas markers are scammers.

AC Digital is a registered business in the UK, helping with the removal of Cifas, NH and SIRA markers. They’ve successfully removed, with proof, around 50 Cifas markers with a 100% success rate.

Next time, you should stop and think. These people are victims of money mule scams and are likely in University and due to your overcasting narcissism, will have to drop out as they cannot get the help they need.

I agree, most of these pages are scammers but AC isn’t. AC Digital tells all people to stay clear, teaches people for free what to look out for to PREVENT this happening again or happening at all.

Before you respond, please have a look at their “vouches” highlight on Instagram, you can see some evidence of successful removals/vouches there.

Let’s help these people instead of keeping them learning this lesson for 6 years, they don’t need conditioning.
LottieLot is correct. Approaches via DM, (especially on platforms like Instagram), should be viewed with a very high degree of scepticism indeed.

I could not find AC registered company number on their website. Nor their office address or a landline phone number. Their "how do I know AC digital is legit?" section is just a load of screengrabs from instagram conversations.

Could you provide their company number so I can have a look at who is behind it?
Unlucky77
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by struggler07)
Revolut and lot of prepaid cards are on the cifas list
You can apply to revolut without a hard credit check so no harm in trying. You may be surprised
martin7
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
You can apply to revolut without a hard credit check so no harm in trying. You may be surprised
Cifas fraud markers don't show up on a credit check. But they will show up on a Cifas check, and there's no reason to believe Revolut wouldn't check with Cifas.

My understanding of the difference between a hard and a soft credit check is simply that a "hard" credit check is visible to other financial organisations, and a "soft" credit check is not. I think it unlikely that the information provided to the lender making the check is different.
StriderHort
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
It's amazing how many people think they can lazily fart their way around being blacklisted as a fraud risk
struggler07
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
But there on the cifas list
Anon12399
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
LottieLot is correct. Approaches via DM, (especially on platforms like Instagram), should be viewed with a very high degree of scepticism indeed.

I could not find AC registered company number on their website. Nor their office address or a landline phone number. Their "how do I know AC digital is legit?" section is just a load of screengrabs from instagram conversations.

Could you provide their company number so I can have a look at who is behind it?
Hi, did you find out if AC was legit?
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anon12399)
Hi, did you find out if AC was legit?
So far as I know, they sell you a bunch of complaint templates for circa £400. Whether those are worth the money to you, and whether the CIFAS marker could be withdrawn off the back of that, I can't say.

What I can say is that there are enough red flags about them that I personally wouldn't consider using them.

If you look at recent CIFAS threads, there have been a few companies recommended who are more likely to accept folks with CIFAS markers.
Anon12399
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
So far as I know, they sell you a bunch of complaint templates for circa £400. Whether those are worth the money to you, and whether the CIFAS marker could be withdrawn off the back of that, I can't say.

What I can say is that there are enough red flags about them that I personally wouldn't consider using them.

If you look at recent CIFAS threads, there have been a few companies recommended who are more likely to accept folks with CIFAS markers.
Could you please share me towards a more legit company which could help my Cifas get removed?
StriderHort
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Could you please share me towards a more legit company which could help my Cifas get removed?
I don't honestly know if there is such a legitimate thing, the whole concept of accepting money to overturn a legit fraud marker is dodgy.

It really comes down to whether the bank made a clear mistake in your case, or do you just not like having a CIFAS marker? As 99%+ requests fall into the second unappealable category.
Anon12399
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
I don't honestly know if there is such a legitimate thing, the whole concept of accepting money to overturn a legit fraud marker is dodgy.

It really comes down to whether the bank made a clear mistake in your case, or do you just not like having a CIFAS marker? As 99%+ requests fall into the second unappealable category.
Like if you for real did it with getting something out of it I would just turn the L but it’s the thing that I didn’t get anything out of it and was a complete victim.

AC say their success rate is 100% but I don’t know if that’s true it doesn’t seem like it and want to get it removed but don’t wanna lose a whole £800 they asking if it’s a total scam. I would try it if someone legit/vouched knows if they are legit or not.
Last edited by Anon12399; 1 week ago
StriderHort
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Like if you for real did it with getting something out of it I would just turn the L but it’s the thing that I didn’t get anything out of it and was a complete victim.

AC say their success rate is 100% but I don’t know if that’s true it doesn’t seem like it and want to get it removed but don’t wanna lose a whole £800 they asking if it’s a total scam. I would try it if someone legit/vouched knows if they are legit or not.
That still sounds like you did something to deserve the marker, the bank will care more about seeing themselves as a the victim and you as complicit in some way, it's important to remember CIFAS is there for the banks benefit, not yours and they will not take your personal circumstances into account. Basically if you were in any way complicit in the fraud or putting your account at risk there's nothing to logically appeal.

I've never (and would never) done business with AC, but it sounds like a cynical attempt to scam known suckers out of more money, as if their logic is you were dumb enough to accept a whatsapp offering you free money or whatever, so you're dumb and desperate enough to buy their 100% bumf..
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
I honestly don't know that there is one. Either the marker was applied incorrectly, in which case you should just be able to follow the banks complaints procedure and then take it to the ombudsman if you have no joy OR the account details were given to a third party (usually through naivety, but ultimately for the purposes of money muling), in which case the marker is a valid one. You can't admit to the later and hope for the marker to be removed, otherwise everyone would do that and the whole system would be pointless.
You are misunderstanding what the marker is for. It's irrelevant whether you benefitted from it or not. You compromised your account details which put the bank/lender at risk. The marker is a warning to other lenders, not a punishment for committing fraud.
I mean 100% sounds great, but unless the figure is verifiable in some way it's meaningless. It might relate to one customer!

The only person with first hand experience of them is the business owner who has posted here a couple of times. Their attitude stank and they couldn't answer a simple question like "why aren't the T&C's on the website?". As above, I don't have any confidence in them based on what they've posted here.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (56)
12.33%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.76%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.87%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (41)
9.03%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (212)
46.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.3%

Watched Threads