The age of fossil-fuel abundance is dead

Watch
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
Very much agree with your latter points.

I think the Severn Barrage tidal flow project should be done, the environmental effects on the Severn Estuary can probably be mitigated to some extent and it would cause issues to ports, but the overall benefit both to the environment and to UK energy independence would be huge. It's very sad that this was put on the back burner, the investment would be much less than new nuclear plants, with lower CO2 in the capital phase and much bigger CO2 net gains over its lifetime.
The estimated strike price for the tidal project is in the 100-150kwh range. That would crush the consumer even more than Hinckley will.

Currently, only wind is below grid parity domestically.

Though I would like energy independence.
Last edited by Rakas21; 1 week ago
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
The estimated strike price for the tidal project is in the 100-150kwh range. That would crush the consumer even more than Hinckley will.

Currently, only wind is below grid parity domestically.

Though I would like energy independence.
With prices the way they are heading, all kinds of things might make sense that didn't look right before. However, I think those price estimates would change now, they were based on materials and engineering from 40 years ago. Someone should do some serious work on it again.
Gaddafi
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I'm against renewables. There's plenty of oil left (also more can and will be found.) Also plenty of coal to turn into oil via coal liquefaction.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by Gaddafi)
I'm against renewables. There's plenty of oil left (also more can and will be found.) Also plenty of coal to turn into oil via coal liquefaction.
Whats wrong with renewables, in of themselves?
They might be much less efficient than Gas, for example, but in special relation to coal at least they dont poison anyone living downwind of the rankin units. Never mind the climate itself, whatever side of the isle you fall on it, after all, the waste from those places is truly evil with half of it being radioactive as well.
Personally im all for a mixture of nuclear and gas with the irish sea being turned into a giant windfarm :lol:
Gaddafi
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Napp)
Whats wrong with renewables, in of themselves?
They might be much less efficient than Gas, for example, but in special relation to coal at least they dont poison anyone living downwind of the rankin units. Never mind the climate itself, whatever side of the isle you fall on it, after all, the waste from those places is truly evil with half of it being radioactive as well.
Personally im all for a mixture of nuclear and gas with the irish sea being turned into a giant windfarm :lol:
They are unreliable (other then hydro which I am not opposed to.) You can't just sit and hope for more sun or wind - and trying to transfer excess energy into let's say artifical water pumps for future use is not feasible at all locations.

Coal, oil and gas are tried and tested. They are as reliable as you can get.

(Btw I'll respond to your post in the China discussion tmrw.)
Last edited by Gaddafi; 3 days ago
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by Gaddafi)
They are unreliable (other then hydro which I am not opposed to.) You can't just sit and hope for more sun or wind - and trying to transfer excess energy into let's say artifical water pumps for future use is not feasible at all locations.

Coal, oil and gas are tried and tested. They are as reliable as you can get.

(Btw I'll respond to your post in the China discussion tmrw.)
Indeed, theyre **** for baseload power but theyre not bad as a general addition to the mix though. That being said, in relation to your comment on excess energy, pumped hydro storage isnt a bad option and thanks to the grid can usually be used wherever and whenever its required although your point on geography does stand with only a few areas in Scotland and Wales being particularly suitable and even then not on a very large scale (to my knowledge at least). The sooner they develop proper batteries which arent lithium ion ones the better, although theres a few interesting concepts being tried out which dont explode :rolleyes:

Indeed, although as i said on coal its not a particularly pleasant one to use in comparison to any others, even diesels better. That being said, theyre good for managing anticipated peaks (like when a cold snap is forcast later on in the week) but when they take up to a day to fire up (after all, they cant be used continuously in most cases) theyre limited compared to gas which is excellent for quick turn on as well as black start.

All good
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (156)
54.74%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (42)
14.74%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (32)
11.23%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.12%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.61%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.56%

Watched Threads