ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Welcome to the Birmingham A101 2022 Entry Discussion.

Birmingham A101 2021 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6560546

Birmingham A101 2020 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5934272

For general information click: https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergr...rad-entry.aspx

For entry requirements click: https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergr...equirementsTab

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!
Last edited by ecolier; 2 weeks ago
Cheahr
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi all, so great there is this thread being set up. ! I am very interested in Birmingham GEM because this is the only GEM I have good score and really love their transparency.

I graduated long while ago over 5 years, I worked as postdoc after studies for 3-4 years and now working as GI physiologist (healthcare scientist) in hospital. Are these okay to waive off the academic gap they said?
Cheahr
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Anybody coming to apply Birmingham GEM 2022 intake?
Hopefulmedic15
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi, do we think Birmingham have kept their point system the same for the UCAT threshold (the table they currently have says 2770+ = 4 points)? If this table is correct then I have 16 overall which was the threshold for interview, however if the Ucat point table increased last year I wouldn’t have gotten an interview! Any info on this would be appreciated
Cheahr
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
In the entry requirement of Birmingham GEM A101, it says

We expect that no more than five years will elapse between the most recent and relevant qualification and the start date of the course. We will waive this requirement for anyone whose:

Full-time employment involves clinical work with substantive responsibility for patient management (we will not waive the requirement for a role as a Health Care Assistant, for example)
Full-time work or study requires substantial links with the science basis of medicine (we will not waive the requirement for a role as a technician, for example).

I graduated in PhD in 2016 and there will be over 5 years of academic gap.
After that, I worked as a Research Technician in thrombosis research for 6 months only.
Right after that, I worked as a Postdoctoral research fellow in gastrointestinal disorders for 3 years.
Since 2020 September, I am working as a Trainee Healthcare Scientist in gastrointestinal physiology in hospital, carrying out diagnostic tests such as oesophageal manometry, reflux monitoring, endoanal ultrasound, anorectal manometry, urodynamics etc for the patients. - they are diagnostic tests referred by doctor with the clinical reports used for the treatment plan.

I believe these full time employments are sufficient to waive the 5-year academic gap requirement.
I have dropped an email to clarify with their A101 admission team, but no reply yet! I also tried to call but the person is working from home!

Can anybody advise on this please? I am very interested in applying this GEM.
Does anybody having the similar situation of over 5 year academic gap since last relevant qualification?
Cheahr
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by E2GM3)
AAA at a level (bio chem philosophy + ethics)
2900 band 1 UCAT
1st class degree biomedical sciences
Currently training through the NHS STP so I work full time in the NHS and have done since September 2019
Hi,

I am digging out this thread as I am applying for this GEM 2022 entry. I am a STP trainee too (2020-2023) and just completed my first year, now starting my STP second year in phyiology. Initially I was worrying about my application as the STP MSc in Clinical Science will be marked as pending and will only be completed in 2023! I was panicked as Manchester A106 told me that they will not consider my application AT ALL because my incomplete MSc! I feel that it is bizzare!
After seeing your post here, I am relieved now!
How is things getting on?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (295)
57.5%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (72)
14.04%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (57)
11.11%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (43)
8.38%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
5.07%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.9%

Watched Threads