The Student Room Group

University of St Andrews A990 2022 Entry

Hi there, thanks for checking out this thread. This is the 2022 Entry discussion for University of St Andrews A990.

We're now onto the 2023 application cycle, you can find the 2023 thread here. Of course, you are still welcome to browse this thread as well, but please post in the 2023 one if you have questions about St Andrews.
:biggrin:

Welcome to the University of St Andrews A990 2022 Entry Discussion.

St Andrews A990 2021 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6560848

St Andrews A990 2020 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6175782

For general information click: https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/medicine/medicine-bsc-a990/

For entry requirements click: (see above)

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, advertise or mention group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
I have applied this year, here is my information on scores and grades that I will update as I hear back:

UCAT - 2800, Band 1
BMAT - Didn't take.
Achieved Highschool Average - 97.35%, I also have 4 APs (4, 4, 4 and 5).
Current University Average - 1st Class Bsc degree

University of St. Andrews - Medicine - Canadian Programme (A990)
Date: 25th October 2021 | Reply: Acknowledgement
Date: 28th October 2021 | Reply: Request for Transcripts
Date: (date) | Reply: Interview invite / etc.
Date: (date) | Reply: Offer / Rejection

Update: According to posts from previous years, interview invites usually are sent out mid January to February, so I'll expect to hear a rejection or interview by around then.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by vasya_99
I have applied this year, here is my information on scores and grades that I will update as I hear back:

UCAT - 2800, Band 1
BMAT - Didn't take.

Are you already in University? I was thinking of this program as one of my top ones, but I've heard that the match rate was so bad they had to open up foundation year again...
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Hellois
Are you already in University? I was thinking of this program as one of my top ones, but I've heard that the match rate was so bad they had to open up foundation year again...

Yeah, I am in the final year of my Bsc right now. This is my first time applying to med school, I wasn't sure if I wanted to do medicine back when I applied for my Bachelors. The abysmal match rate is probably just a result of the fact that Canada doesn't match a lot of Canadian med graduates, let alone international graduates. This is a massive problem that has resulted even in some students committing suicide in Canada, so I am prepared to have to wait several years if need be or go to a different country.

I am not worried however as I speak French and Quebec has generally dozens of options that go unfilled, which I am eligible for because I am bilingual. If you also speak French and are willing to do a residency in Quebec, you shouldn't worry too much about CARMs. Also if you are interested in highly competitive fields of medicine you will likely experience issues if you apply outside Quebec (for example there are only approx. 4 spots for neuroscience residencies every year despite thousands of graduates).
Reply 4
Yeah, I am in the final year of my Bsc right now. This is my first time applying to med school, I wasn't sure if I wanted to do medicine back when I applied for my Bachelors. The abysmal match rate is probably just a result of the fact that Canada doesn't match a lot of Canadian med graduates, let alone international graduates. This is a massive problem that has resulted even in some students committing suicide in Canada, so I am prepared to have to wait several years if need be or go to a different country.

I am not worried however as I speak French and Quebec has generally dozens of options that go unfilled, which I am eligible for because I am bilingual. If you also speak French and are willing to do a residency in Quebec, you shouldn't worry too much about CARMs. Also if you are interested in highly competitive fields of medicine you will likely experience issues if you apply outside Quebec (for example there are only approx. 4 spots for neuroscience residencies every year despite thousands of graduates).

Interesting, thanks so much for your insight and hope you get into one of ur UK :smile:
Hey! Has anyone heard back from St Andrews for interview invites?
Original post by manifestingpls
Hey! Has anyone heard back from St Andrews for interview invites?

nope, not yet

got around the same replies as this person (below) at around the same time
hopefully something comes up in mid-jan or feb!

UCAT - 2800, Band 1
BMAT - Didn't take.

Update: According to posts from previous years, interview invites usually are sent out mid January to February, so I'll expect to hear a rejection or interview by around then.
Reply 7
Just emailed St. Andrews to ask when we might start to hear back about interviews, but they didn't provide a clear answer. They pretty much said that they send offers into mid march, but so far I haven't hear of anyone getting an interview or offer for A990 yet, so we will see.
Reply 8
Just emailed St. Andrews to ask when we might start to hear back about interviews, but they didn't provide a clear answer. They pretty much said that they send offers into mid march, but so far I haven't hear of anyone getting an interview or offer for A990 yet, so we will see.

Feb 14th and still waiting to hear about an interview. Has anyone heard anything??
Original post by JoVanBC
Feb 14th and still waiting to hear about an interview. Has anyone heard anything??

Just heard about 10 minutes ago for an interview.
What was you UCAT if you don’t mind me asking
Just got an interview for later in February today! Good luck to everyone else, hope you get an interview soon if you haven't yet!

Stats:
UCAT - 2800 Band 1
University - 1st Class Bachelors
Highschool - Approx 97% Average and a couple APs (mix of 4s and 5s).
Original post by Canadian_made
What was you UCAT if you don’t mind me asking

2930 B1
Reply 13
has anyone gotten an offer?
Original post by hectik

Yay! Finally some action on this thread. No offer yet. Waiting patiently, or trying to. Good luck to all those still monitoring...and waiting.
Original post by hectik

Yes, I got an offer like a week or two ago. Waiting to hear back from all my other programs before I make a decision.
Reply 16
Just received an offer. Interviewed March 8th.
Reminder

For your own safety and that of others, do not post or request links to off site chat groups.

Keep all posts within Community Guidelines

Wilykit

Quick Reply

Latest