Explaining a mark of zero on my transcript for post-graduate applications

Watch
dyingfromlife
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Basically i got a mark of zero for a module because i accidentally submitted the wrong paper for an online exam. should i explain it in my personal statement? i'm just scared they will think the mark was for academic misconduct when i didn't cheat or anything i just submitted the wrong paper.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by dyingfromlife)
Basically i got a mark of zero for a module because i accidentally submitted the wrong paper for an online exam. should i explain it in my personal statement? i'm just scared they will think the mark was for academic misconduct when i didn't cheat or anything i just submitted the wrong paper.
I would have your referee(s) explain it. If I saw a zero mark I would assume that you did not submit any work or sit an exam, but what impact that would have is up to the individual uni.
dyingfromlife
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
I would have your referee(s) explain it. If I saw a zero mark I would assume that you did not submit any work or sit an exam, but what impact that would have is up to the individual uni.
thanks for the help! so would you say i still have a chance for a post-grad place at a good uni or has the zero module mark basically ruined it all?
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by dyingfromlife)
thanks for the help! so would you say i still have a chance for a post-grad place at a good uni or has the zero module mark basically ruined it all?
To be honest, I think it's better that it was zero rather than a low mark, because it's obviously an anomaly and can be explained by your ref.

I can't say for certain whether it will affect your application or not, but in my experience we look at the entirety of the transcript and a single stray grade usually isn't enough to disadvantage an application. We'd be looking at the overall mark, any trends and grades in relevant modules.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (167)
55.48%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (44)
14.62%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (33)
10.96%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
8.64%
I haven't started researching yet (17)
5.65%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (14)
4.65%

Watched Threads