A christian pastor saying 'Life is meant to be enjoyed, not endured' ?

Watch
JVM2020
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I deserted a church last year where a pastor said 'Life is meant to be enjoyed, not endured' and I didn't get it.

This church I felt are not teaching the word of God.

What was this pastor trying to do?
the bear
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by JVM2020)
I deserted a church last year where a pastor said 'Life is meant to be enjoyed, not endured' and I didn't get it.

This church I felt are not teaching the word of God.

he/she is trying to attract young people to the church.
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I don't see the problem. Take out all the Catholic guilt and this is just one interpretation of the new covenant. Jesus the bringer of joy and all that. Galatians 5:22 and all that.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I agree with the pastor and his positive approach to life & sunday sermons. :clap2:
A very welcome change from the general style at many churches where pastors & more traditional clergy seem to have got into the habit of: demanding cash contributions from the regulars, ranting fire&brimstone theology from the pulpit or confessional, spewing vicious invective at specific persons/groups within the congregation and bombarding their flock with a double dose of their favourite brand of divisive identity politics better suited to a secular activist or political meeting that should be kept far away from church premises.
NJA
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by JVM2020)
Er, did you ask him? or just leave

Maybe he was thinking of this statement, among others:
John 10:10 The thief comes not but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
miser
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
The only way religions can survive is by giving followers what they want. You can demand a lot from them in return, but you have to give them at least something they want.
username4899406
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by the bear)
he/she is trying to attract young people to the church.
It's not just that
Whatever is not explicitly forbidden is allowed , and there are far more things to enjoy than to Avoid
NJA
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Maybe this church is for you

londonmyst
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by NJA)
Maybe this church is for you

PRSOM.
BlueSoybean
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
depends on the context 🤷*♀️
Inquistor24
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
It's rather simplistic. Life isn't "meant" for anything other than perhaps the whim of a divine being or something else we can't grasp. But being overly judgemental on preachers is a fruitless and self serving endeavour.
Louis IX
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
"Pick up your cross, and follow me... so long as you enjoy it, and don't have to endure it".

Was your pastor a progressive "Christian" by any chance?
Scotney
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I think he was quoting the Duchess of Sussex!You did right to walk out.
JVM2020
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Louis IX)
"Pick up your cross, and follow me... so long as you enjoy it, and don't have to endure it".

Was your pastor a progressive "Christian" by any chance?
I did not know the most about him. He was an atheist at birth then in his youth converted to Christianity.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (79)
13.57%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (11)
1.89%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (147)
25.26%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (47)
8.08%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (280)
48.11%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.09%

Watched Threads