The Student Room Group

My parents are forcing me to get the covid vaccine...

In my early 20's. I have elderly parents. Have been taking care of them since the start of the pandemic. I made sure they are both fully vaccinated when the vaccines first rolled out. My mother has a health condition which mean even a flu would require her to go to hospital. We don't have the best relationship and they are quite narcissistic, but I stayed anyway. I wanted to move out last summer, but they convinced me to stay (obviously to take care of them, but yet complain about me living in the house with them for free all the time - a lot of screaming and yelling in this house for no reason). I had been extremely careful since the pandemic began to make sure they are safe.

I had to travel to Manchester for an important meeting in July. I wasn't vaccinated and brought covid into the house. Myself and my father recovered fine, my mother had to be in hospital for a week and a half, which is pretty good imo considering even a chest infection would have needed her to go to hospital. She's okay now but has breathlessness which will take a while to recover from.

I have much older siblings who could help to lighten the burden, but they don't give a s*it, and its all on me to take care of them. I was given a lot of bs from everyone because it was 'my fault I bought covid into the house' because I wasn't vaccinated.

After this incident, the main thing I realised is that I can't travel anywhere at all and have to stay home. Which is absolutely fine with me. But they are all now forcing me to get the vaccine. I had covid and recovered fine. I feel the important thing is for me to stay put at home, rather than get the vaccine. Would they rather I get the vaccine and then freely commute to Manchester for work? I don't think so. So I don't see the point in being vaccinated 1) I've already recovered from covid, and 2) I'm not planning on travelling around.

The main thing I'm concerned about is myocarditis and blood clot issues in men under 30. There is also so much misinformation out there. Obviously the main reason to get the vaccine is that it reduces the severity of symptoms (which is why I made sure my parents had it, but makes no difference to me as I've already had it), some people say it helps reduce the transmission and other people say that this is false. I'm pretty sure if I was fully vaccinated I still would've given it to my parents due to living in the same house. Even if its not covid, it would be the delta variant or the season flu (apparently quite a sever one going around) that I pass onto them, which is why the main thing for me in my opinion is to not travel.

I've hated living here this whole time and have decided I will hopefully move out after the New Year. They are currently saying to me 'get the vaccine or we'll kick you out', which is absolutely fine with me. But I live in a very hostile home and I know if I don't get the vaccine now, there will be verbal hell to pay for. I'm being forced to get this vaccine. What do I do? Stand my ground and say no and move out now I guess? Or just get it?

Scroll to see replies

Odds of getting any severe side effects is tiny.
Reply 2
Additional info: I have much older siblings who could help to lighten the burden, but they don't give a s*it, and its all on me to take care of them. I was given a lot of bs from everyone because it was 'my fault I bought covid into the house' because I wasn't vaccinated. But if it wasn't from me, unless they stayed confined to the house forever, they would've got it at some point anyway. They are both itching to travel abroad.
Reply 3
Original post by random_matt
Odds of getting any severe side effects is tiny.

I know, but there still is a chance. My elder brother recently found out he has a genetic blood clotting issue, that all of us could possibly have as well. As I have recovered from the actual covid virus, I don't see the point in being injected with spike proteins.
If you are dead set on not getting the vaccine then you should just move out now.
To be honest, a lot of this comes across as being resistant to being forced to get vaccinated, or frustration in your current home situation, (which is understandable).

I won't broach the anti-vaxx topic as I have my own thoughts there and they won't help you. But I will say that if I was living with two elderly folk, and I thought the vaccine might reduce the likelihood of transmission by 1%, I would absolutely be getting it.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I know, but there still is a chance. My elder brother recently found out he has a genetic blood clotting issue, that all of us could possibly have as well. As I have recovered from the actual covid virus, I don't see the point in being injected with spike proteins.

I get clots anyway, Ive had covid and had the vaccine as well.
Your parents shouldn't force you to do something, equally as well I can't understand why youre making a big deal out of it.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Dupe Hunter
If you are dead set on not getting the vaccine then you should just move out now.

I guess so. I think deep down I'm scared to move out, as I feel like 'I'm not allowed to move out' unless I have their permission. Even though I am in my 20s. It's hard to explain controlling parents to those who haven't had experience.
Reply 8
Original post by mqb2766
I get clots anyway, Ive had covid and had the vaccine as well.
Your parents shouldn't force you to do something, equally as well I can't understand why youre making a big deal out of it.

I know someone personally who had died from the vaccine. Albeit it was the AstraZeneca one when it first came out. He was around my age. Never saw anything about it in the news so it makes me wonder who else that is young has died from it. Although, I also know people who have died from covid too, however they were older, unvaccinated and vulnerable.
I only had my first pfizer dose but didn't experience any side effects if that's what you're worried about.
I know someone personally who had died from the vaccine. Albeit it was the AstraZeneca one when it first came out. He was around my age. Never saw anything about it in the news so it makes me wonder who else that is young has died from it. Although, I also know people who have died from covid too, however they were older, unvaccinated and vulnerable.

Sure, there are people who have died from the vaccine and it goes without saying quite a lot more have died from the virus. You can slice it by age etc and at the end of the day, you'll probably still belive what you thought before looking at the data. Once you've decided, its rare for people to change their minds. Conformational bias kicks in.

If you don't want to have it, thats your choice. It sounds almost like a side issue to you wanting to move out.
(edited 2 years ago)
it was the astra-zeneca one that caused blood clots. you would get pfizer so you'd be fine. I had it and had no side effects.
if you want to move out then i'd try and do it though
I say that if you don't want to have the vaccine then don't have it as long as you're not trying to also convince others to not have it. Your body, your choice and you're over 16 so I don't believe that your parents should have a say as to whether you should get vaccinated of not I.e they should try to force you to have it.
Original post by mqb2766
Sure, there are people who have died from the vaccine and it goes without saying quite a lot more have died from the virus. You can slice it by age etc and at the end of the day, you'll probably still belive what you thought before looking at the data. Once you've decided, its rare for people to change their minds. Conformational bias kicks in.

If you don't want to have it, thats your choice. It sounds almost like a side issue to you wanting to move out.

True, I will have to figure it out. I have just been dealing with the barrage of abuse from family members about 'how selfish I am', when I have been the one taking care of them this whole time. I'm certain even if I was vaccinated, I would've given them one thing or another at some point. I just want out now, I've had enough. Nothing I do is appreciated.

I don't see the point in being vaccinated after recovering from the actual virus. There is mounting pressure from doctors to acknowledge natural immunity. I tried to provide a BMJ article previously but it was deleted. The article is 'Vaccinating people who have had covid-19: why doesn’t natural immunity count in the US?'.
X

Last year, there were approximately 30,000 serious injuries or deaths in the UK from road traffic accidents. In other words, you have a 0.04% chance of being seriously injured per year by being hit by a car in the UK. The rate of myocarditis from the Pfizer vaccine for young men and boys is on the order of 0.01%.

In other words, if you refuse to take the COVID vaccine out of fear of side effects yet are willing to leave your house and walk, drive or cycle near or on a road, you are a hyprocrite. You are 4 times more likely to be seriously injured by a vehicle in the UK than to get a serious complication from the vaccine.

If you are genuinely so scared of dying from the vaccine that a 0.01% risk of complications is too much for you, you should also be too scared to live in a town or city so I strongly suggest you buy a cottage in the middle of a field and sit in a plastic bubble for the rest of your life.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by hungrysalamander
I only had my first pfizer dose but didn't experience any side effects if that's what you're worried about.

I think it was usually after the second dose there were harsh side effects, but read they do subside after a week / few days. Also read that side effects are worse for people who have had covid. I know most likely nothing bad will happen, but I just don't see the point of putting myself through that chance of a rare side effect when I've already recovered from the actual whole covid virus (not just had the spike proteins in me) and now have antibodies.
True, I will have to figure it out. I have just been dealing with the barrage of abuse from family members about 'how selfish I am', when I have been the one taking care of them this whole time. I'm certain even if I was vaccinated, I would've given them one thing or another at some point. I just want out now, I've had enough. Nothing I do is appreciated.

I don't see the point in being vaccinated after recovering from the actual virus. There is mounting pressure from doctors to acknowledge natural immunity. I tried to provide a BMJ article previously but it was deleted. The article is 'Vaccinating people who have had covid-19: why doesn’t natural immunity count in the US?'.

It really is your choice and generally people choose to look at extra information which confirms their position and reject the opposing view. Personally, I get bored by all the scientific papers quoted.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by mqb2766
It really is your choice and generally people choose to look at extra information which confirms their position and reject the opposing view. Personally, I get bored by all the scientific papers quoted.

That's true. But I think it is important to question natural immunity vs vaccine, which hasn't been debated at all. Getting the vaccine seems to be the end all be all, otherwise you are branded an anti-vaxxer.
That's true. But I think it is important to question natural immunity vs vaccine, which hasn't been debated at all. Getting the vaccine seems to be the end all be all, otherwise you are branded an anti-vaxxer.

I don't understand the science enough to debate vaccination v natural immunity. Ive had it, it wasn't great (covid) so went to get vaccinated when it was offered. Clots don't particularly worry me, but the incidence of clots is relatively low and much lower than you get if you have to go to hospital. Hence the clot campaign in uk hospitals a few years ago.

Tbh, with all the "debate" thats happening online, I don't feel any wiser, it turns me off, and generally I wouldn't brand anyone an anti-vaxxer unless they were pushing their views on other people.
(edited 2 years ago)
I guess so. I think deep down I'm scared to move out, as I feel like 'I'm not allowed to move out' unless I have their permission. Even though I am in my 20s. It's hard to explain controlling parents to those who haven't had experience.

I had a controlling parent, I learnt to stand up for myself.

Latest

Trending

Trending