embrightx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Basically i just don’t think college is for me, i’ve thought abt it spoke to my parents etc and they agree with me. my mental health just doesn’t handle things well and regarding that i have a therapy appointment this week so i am seeking help. Im 16 so i have to stay in education, i have an apprenticeship set up in the career i was dead set on but they can only take me on once im 17 so i’m just waiting for a year. Is it a bad idea for me to 1. stay enrolled in college but just not go (basically be absent for the entire year until im 17) and 2. get a part time job until then. I do need income and i’d be much more happier in a part time job i like until i can take the apprenticeship at 17 than going to college. I haven’t been in 4 weeks and none of my tutors have replied to my emails when i asked for advice so that’s basically put me off ever going back. I just don’t want to officially leave because then i won’t be able to go back as a last resort and i’ll be officially not in education which is illegal. any advice on if what i’m doing is okay? anyone done this before lol? im just uncertain, i know i have a career to get into i just have to be 17 so it’s not like i’m throwing my future away
Ash1234
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by embrightx)
Basically i just don’t think college is for me, i’ve thought abt it spoke to my parents etc and they agree with me. my mental health just doesn’t handle things well and regarding that i have a therapy appointment this week so i am seeking help. Im 16 so i have to stay in education, i have an apprenticeship set up in the career i was dead set on but they can only take me on once im 17 so i’m just waiting for a year. Is it a bad idea for me to 1. stay enrolled in college but just not go (basically be absent for the entire year until im 17) and 2. get a part time job until then. I do need income and i’d be much more happier in a part time job i like until i can take the apprenticeship at 17 than going to college. I haven’t been in 4 weeks and none of my tutors have replied to my emails when i asked for advice so that’s basically put me off ever going back. I just don’t want to officially leave because then i won’t be able to go back as a last resort and i’ll be officially not in education which is illegal. any advice on if what i’m doing is okay? anyone done this before lol? im just uncertain, i know i have a career to get into i just have to be 17 so it’s not like i’m throwing my future away
It's great your seeking mental health support.

The college seems unprofessional to not reply, how about going in and asking to speak to a tutor or careers advise. You want to be careful there won't be any cost implications like fines on your parents if you are not attending. Suggest you turn up or hound them via telephone..

Part time or full time job would be brilliant for you to do may help pay towards a driving lessons or a car to support you during the apprenticeship.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
These are the rules:

https://www.gov.uk/know-when-you-can-leave-school
Mariam78777
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi

It's great you're putting your mental health first!!! I was just like you when i started college and tbf I wish I was more clued up and dropped out. I stayed in college and wasted a whole two years doing subjects i didn't enjoy. I started my apprenticeship a year ago and i'm almost finish, its been amazing because now I have actual work experience which is more valuable alongside a L3 diploma in Business.

I think you should rest for a year and don't worry too much about missing a year, think of it as a rest before the job/apprenticeship takes over because trust me it will keep you busy and tired.

GOOD LUCK
Last edited by Mariam78777; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (193)
55.46%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (49)
14.08%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (39)
11.21%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (32)
9.2%
I haven't started researching yet (20)
5.75%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed