The Student Room Group

how unhealthy is 2 diet sodas a day?

Scroll to see replies

Less unhealthy than one demon core a day, more unhealthy than only water. Since both the former and latter are often unrealistic goals/possibilities for people, it's probably fine.

Just be mindful of your dental hygiene, really, as that's probably the main risk from drinking such things regularly as carbonated drinks are fairly acidic. But if your teeth are fairly healthy and/or you keep on top of any cavities that may appear and brush and floss etc regularly, likely to be fine.
Original post by artful_lounger
Less unhealthy than one demon core a day, more unhealthy than only water. Since both the former and latter are often unrealistic goals/possibilities for people, it's probably fine.

Just be mindful of your dental hygiene, really, as that's probably the main risk from drinking such things regularly as carbonated drinks are fairly acidic. But if your teeth are fairly healthy and/or you keep on top of any cavities that may appear and brush and floss etc regularly, likely to be fine.

Thanks man. Yeah, I didn't realize there was acid in them. I saw a dentist a couple weeks ago and he said my teeth were in good condition but I plan on using straws from now on just to help. I have a lot of packs of sugar free gum at work and I chew that occasionally so that might explain why my teeth are still ok.

:smile:
Unhealthy regarding what? cancer risk? gastric cancer risk specifically? what kind of health risk are we talking about? cos people just tend to say "not good for you" without specifying what kind of good or bad it might do and in what quantities, under what circumstances, etc.
Original post by Sabertooth
Black?

Usually with soya milk. Ground, instant or whatever. Large vanilla latte from Nero is also so, so good.
Original post by GyrosUberAlles
Unhealthy regarding what? cancer risk? gastric cancer risk specifically? what kind of health risk are we talking about? cos people just tend to say "not good for you" without specifying what kind of good or bad it might do and in what quantities, under what circumstances, etc.

Cancer, heart disease, diabetes, gastroenteritis, osteoporosis......anything? Basically overall health.

I gave the quantity and circumstances.
Original post by random_matt
Usually with soya milk. Ground, instant or whatever. Large vanilla latte from Nero is also so, so good.

I used to really enjoy coffee with milk - but that builds up calories. The soda has no calories whereas I'm betting there's a good few hundred in a large latte (as good as they are! :biggrin:)
Cancer, heart disease, diabetes, gastroenteritis, osteoporosis......anything? Basically overall health.

I gave the quantity and circumstances.

There's no such thing as overall health tho, it might be bad for your bones and neutral for everything else. Maybe carbonated drinks increase your risk of osteoporosis, but again by how much? I dunno and perhaps the increased risk is miniscule and worth it*.

I do not think it has anything to do with heart disease, diabetes, etc.

*Worth it in the sense that, it's unrealistic for many people to expect them to only drink water and coffee. It's far better to drink diet sodas than sugary drinks or anything with added sugar.
(edited 2 years ago)
Thanks man. Yeah, I didn't realize there was acid in them. I saw a dentist a couple weeks ago and he said my teeth were in good condition but I plan on using straws from now on just to help. I have a lot of packs of sugar free gum at work and I chew that occasionally so that might explain why my teeth are still ok.

:smile:

To be honest I think using a straw isn't going to make that much difference, but as long as you have regular dental checkups (I think like once every 6 months is what it's meant to be although if you manage once a year you're probably ahead of a lot of people...) to make sure any developing cavities get nipped in the bud before they get worse, as stated I imagine you'll be no worse than regular tea/coffee drinkers (with possibly less tooth staining?) in the dental department :tongue:
I used to really enjoy coffee with milk - but that builds up calories. The soda has no calories whereas I'm betting there's a good few hundred in a large latte (as good as they are! :biggrin:)

I weigh like 55 kg, cannot say I am ever worried about calories, lucky me I guess.
Original post by artful_lounger
To be honest I think using a straw isn't going to make that much difference, but as long as you have regular dental checkups (I think like once every 6 months is what it's meant to be although if you manage once a year you're probably ahead of a lot of people...) to make sure any developing cavities get nipped in the bud before they get worse, as stated I imagine you'll be no worse than regular tea/coffee drinkers (with possibly less tooth staining?) in the dental department :tongue:

I get dental cleanings every 6 months. :smile:
Original post by random_matt
I weigh like 55 kg, cannot say I am ever worried about calories, lucky me I guess.

Haha, yeah lucky you!

I am trying to lose weight. That's why sometimes I have an energy drink in the afternoon so I have more energy for swimming. I can push myself much harder.
It’s good that you’re having diet, but unless you’re using a straw, the fizzy drinks with cause acid erosion on your teeth! Try to cut down to one and have it with a meal.
I looked at caffeine pills on Amazon. Lots of the reviews point to poor quality control - pills missing, not being as much caffeine as advertised/just doesn't work. Where do you buy them from?

You can get Pro Plus in any supermarket in the UK. I've just had a look and it seems to available on Amazon.com.

Quick Reply

Latest