Ash1234
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Has anyone had any experience off accepting a civil service job offer then rejecting it within a couple of weeks of the start date? I know this is worst thing ever to do, maybe face some legal issues and blacklisted from ever working for civil service but I'm happily prepared taking the risks.

I have another job interview lined up and the role appeals to me way more but you never can assume with interviews you'll get the job. So I'm not prepared to take the risk by rejecting the civil service job right now.
Grim_Squeaker
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Ash1234)
Has anyone had any experience off accepting a civil service job offer then rejecting it within a couple of weeks of the start date? I know this is worst thing ever to do, maybe face some legal issues and blacklisted from ever working for civil service but I'm happily prepared taking the risks.

I have another job interview lined up and the role appeals to me way more but you never can assume with interviews you'll get the job. So I'm not prepared to take the risk by rejecting the civil service job right now.
If you get the other job, simply contact your point of contact within HR at the dept of the Civ Service you are joining and inform them of your decision. While it's infuriating for the hiring manager whose dept you are meant to be joining (with a bit of luck it's a campaign with a reserve list rather than a single post recruitment) it's not going to see you blacklisted, though HR will be able to best inform you.

It's not entirely uncommon tbh and I've seen it a few times since I joined the service.

Just don't burn that bridge until you know for sure, bear in mind though that there are far far worse places to be that the Civil Service should the job you'd prefer not materialise. often, once you are in you can then keep an eye out for internal jobs that are more to your tastes.

Also, best of luck! Hope it all works out for you.
Last edited by Grim_Squeaker; 2 weeks ago
Bandyb123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Ash1234)

It happens all the time, i wouldn't worry. If you get the other job just have the courtesy to advise them of this, some people just don't bother turning up on their first day...
Ash1234
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Bandyb123)
It happens all the time, i wouldn't worry. If you get the other job just have the courtesy to advise them of this, some people just don't bother turning up on their first day...
Thanks for the responses they are super reassuring.

I just thought with it being the "civil service" you wouldn't even dare do such a thing but I guess I will do what's best for me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (252)
57.53%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (58)
13.24%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (47)
10.73%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (38)
8.68%
I haven't started researching yet (24)
5.48%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
4.34%

Watched Threads