2020Gang
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have a question for thoses that got into medicine at un and did young enterprise. Did doing young enterprise help you in any way of your application to getting into medicine. Like did the interviewers talk to you about it, did you mention it in your personal statement ,where people impressed by it.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 2020Gang)
I have a question for thoses that got into medicine at un and did young enterprise. Did doing young enterprise help you in any way of your application to getting into medicine. Like did the interviewers talk to you about it, did you mention it in your personal statement ,where people impressed by it.
Most med schools don't care much about extracurricular activities these days.

Interviewers will not specifically ask you about Young Enterprise - you can bring it up yourself if asked something like "Tell us about a time when you had to innovate / communicate with other people" etc. Most interviewers (me included) wouldn't even know too much about Young Enterprise.

And no, it's very, very hard to "impress" us seeing as we have seen all sorts - international ambassadors, Team GB representatives etc. Don't aim to stand out, just aim to be a standard, good candidate.

Bottom line: do this if you want, but if it will interfere with your school work or BMAT prep - drop it.
2020Gang
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Most med schools don't care much about extracurricular activities these days.

Interviewers will not specifically ask you about Young Enterprise - you can bring it up yourself if asked something like "Tell us about a time when you had to innovate / communicate with other people" etc. Most interviewers (me included) wouldn't even know too much about Young Enterprise.

And no, it's very, very hard to "impress" us seeing as we have seen all sorts - international ambassadors, Team GB representatives etc. Don't aim to stand out, just aim to be a standard, good candidate.

Bottom line: do this if you want, but if it will interfere with your school work or BMAT prep - drop it.
Ok thank you so much for your reply and you being an interviewer makes this a whole lot better. I’m trying to get into Oxford and I know that it is a very competitive school to get into medicine there. For that reason I’m set in doing loads of extracurricular activity for example I’ve done NCS in the summer I’ve stared EPQ I’ve signed up for young enterprise, Im going to work shadow a doctor very soon and later on maybe in a few months time, do volunteering at a care home and work experience at a gp.

The reason I want to do Young enterprise is that I’ll be part of a team, have responsibilities and it shows that I can manage time effective whilst maintaining good grades.

The fact that this doesn’t relate to medicine Is making me feel like not doing it. I want to do it but if it doesn’t help with medicine then there is no point wasting time on it.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 2020Gang)
Ok thank you so much for your reply and you being an interviewer makes this a whole lot better. I’m trying to get into Oxford and I know that it is a very competitive school to get into medicine there. For that reason I’m set in doing loads of extracurricular activity for example I’ve done NCS in the summer I’ve stared EPQ I’ve signed up for young enterprise, Im going to work shadow a doctor very soon and later on maybe in a few months time, do volunteering at a care home and work experience at a gp.

The reason I want to do Young enterprise is that I’ll be part of a team, have responsibilities and it shows that I can manage time effective whilst maintaining good grades.

The fact that this doesn’t relate to medicine Is making me feel like not doing it. I want to do it but if it doesn’t help with medicine then there is no point wasting time on it.
Oxford (as well as Cambridge) interviews are different to other med schools - they are very academic so I would be focusing on school work rather than extracurricular activity.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (53)
14.21%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (94)
25.2%
I'm a bit unsure (66)
17.69%
I'm finding things difficult (128)
34.32%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
8.58%

Watched Threads