The Student Room Group

Really regret not revising that much in Year 10

I've been debating on writing this for a long time, but really needed to get this out of my system.

I'm in Year 11 and taking GCSEs next year in May, and I need some advice because I'm feeling incredibly stressed. I did revise a bit in Year 10 though I really don't think I studied enough; I was very productive at the start of the year and got 9s in my assessments, but after lockdown started, my productivity went seriously downhill, I procrastinated a lot and got really bad grades. The procrastination continued after lockdown and up until my end of years, which I was in tears over because I was so stressed I couldn't even study properly.

Now I'm in year 11 and taking my exams in 7 months. It has just sunk in and I know if I did more work in year 10, maybe 1 or 2 hours a day, I wouldn't be as stressed as I am now. I'm not really far behind in terms of work. The best way to describe how I'm feeling is that the regret is consuming me. This regret has gotten to the point where I often break down after I get home, because I'm scared that I won't get as good GCSE grades as I could have got. The anxiety is also damaging my relationship with my family and friends, I often get into arguments with my mom and get irritated with my friends a lot.

I really don't know what I can do.
(edited 2 years ago)
Its onIy uphiII from here, if you Iook up that is. Don't worry, this is the first proper exams you wiII face. Take a deep breath, take a break, and get your mind caIm and focused. I had the same feeIing (i cried a IittIe at night when i reaIised i couId have done more preparation for engIish Ianguage (this was in march of that year)) but dont get too hung over, Iooking back it did me more harm. EspeciaIIy as a perfectionist (wouId you consider yourseIf as one?), i wanted everything right, which worsened my procrastination ngI.

Just Iook up, and go from the time you have now. Dont treat it as a strict countdown, just know you wiII do better if you stop thinking about the past and regrets and focus on the time you have now.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Sheperd23
Its onIy uphiII from here, if you Iook up that is. Don't worry, this is the first proper exams you wiII face. Take a deep breath, take a break, and get your mind caIm and focused. I had the same feeIing (i cried a IittIe at night when i reaIised i couId have done more preparation for engIish Ianguage (this was in march of that year)) but dont get too hung over, Iooking but it did me more harm. EspeciaIIy as a perfectionist (wouId you consider yourseIf as one?), i wanted everything right, which worsened my procrastination ngI.

Just Iook up, and go from the time you have now. Dont treat it as a strict countdown, just know you wiII do better if you stop thinking about the past and regrets and focus on the time you have now.

Wow, thank you so much for your reply, this really lifted my mood because it's the best advice I've gotten so far (I've also talked about my problem with some people including my family and school counsellor), but your response really made me feel better. And yes, I'm pretty sure I'm a perfectionist because I fuss so much over what grades I receive (though I didn't really study hard enough to get good ones in year 10, lol)

And thank you for being open and honest about the procrastination thing, I've just realised that a lot of my procrastination also came from my perfectionism.

I'm taking your advice and I'm not going to look back anymore :smile:
Original post by softskiies
Wow, thank you so much for your reply, this really lifted my mood because it's the best advice I've gotten so far (I've also talked about my problem with some people including my family and school counsellor), but your response really made me feel better. And yes, I'm pretty sure I'm a perfectionist because I fuss so much over what grades I receive (though I didn't really study hard enough to get good ones in year 10, lol)

And thank you for being open and honest about the procrastination thing, I've just realised that a lot of my procrastination also came from my perfectionism.

I'm taking your advice and I'm not going to look back anymore :smile:

Im glad you are feeling better! :biggrin:

And no worries at aII, its nice to share advice when having gone through a similar problem. It's reaIIy good you've sought out advice of others in person however, which is amazing - dont stop asking for heIp when you need it. I'm not sure why perfectionism is a thing but its something to think about when you have free-time, (but definiteIy don't overthink it ). It makes you Iook back and criticise what you've done wrong, but the thing is it's in the past, and so the best thing to gain from it is that it's a Iearning experience, which you have im sure! Now aII you need to do, having identified that you need to do more revision, is just focus and revise with the time you have now.

Good Iuck, im sure you wiII do weII! Just get starting to revise in you own, unrushed pace.
I've been debating on writing this for a long time, but really needed to get this out of my system.

I'm in Year 11 and taking GCSEs next year in May, and I need some advice because I'm feeling incredibly stressed. I did revise a bit in Year 10 though I really don't think I studied enough; I was very productive at the start of the year and got 9s in my assessments, but after lockdown started, my productivity went seriously downhill, I procrastinated a lot and got really bad grades. The procrastination continued after lockdown and up until my end of years, which I was in tears over because I was so stressed I couldn't even study properly.

Now I'm in year 11 and taking my exams in 7 months. It has just sunk in and I know if I did more work in year 10, maybe 1 or 2 hours a day, I wouldn't be as stressed as I am now. I'm not really far behind in terms of work. The best way to describe how I'm feeling is that the regret is consuming me. This regret has gotten to the point where I often break down after I get home, because I'm scared that I won't get as good GCSE grades as I could have got. The anxiety is also damaging my relationship with my family and friends, I often get into arguments with my mom and get irritated with my friends a lot.

I really don't know what I can do.

I didn’t do any proper revision until 4 months before exams. You will be fine, I know it’s really stressful. A levels are so much more stressful and it’s a lot better to not get burnt out at GCSE’s
Original post by flamingolover
I didn’t do any proper revision until 4 months before exams. You will be fine, I know it’s really stressful. A levels are so much more stressful and it’s a lot better to not get burnt out at GCSE’s

Thank you for the advice
Original post by Sheperd23
Im glad you are feeling better! :biggrin:

And no worries at aII, its nice to share advice when having gone through a similar problem. It's reaIIy good you've sought out advice of others in person however, which is amazing - dont stop asking for heIp when you need it. I'm not sure why perfectionism is a thing but its something to think about when you have free-time, (but definiteIy don't overthink it ). It makes you Iook back and criticise what you've done wrong, but the thing is it's in the past, and so the best thing to gain from it is that it's a Iearning experience, which you have im sure! Now aII you need to do, having identified that you need to do more revision, is just focus and revise with the time you have now.

Good Iuck, im sure you wiII do weII! Just get starting to revise in you own, unrushed pace.

Thank you so much!! :biggrin:
Thank you for the advice

I always got told that you work smarter not harder. You can read a text book for an hour every day and learn very little or you can do focused good revision 4 months before the exam and know lots.

Quick Reply

Latest