The Student Room Group

Jobs after sixth form

I've been struggling to find inspiration for job ideas since I was roughly 13, I'm 17 now and still don't have a clue about a single thing that interests me. I am not open to the idea of university as my thoughts include "you're going just to get a job to pay off the fact you went in the first place". I know its a narrow view on it but I don't want to go.

I am very introverted and don't enjoy much. I've asked friends teachers parents councilors online etc and am still lost. I realise I'm asking randomness for my job but I really am lost and don't want to start my earlier life as an adult wasted in a bad job and want to get the right start.

My qualifications so far are all my gcses, with 7s ad my highest in physics, DT and PE. And I'm now working towards my A level business and Product design aswell as my Camberidge Technical Sport level 3.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by FlebSetcher
I've been struggling to find inspiration for job ideas since I was roughly 13, I'm 17 now and still don't have a clue about a single thing that interests me. I am not open to the idea of university as my thoughts include "you're going just to get a job to pay off the fact you went in the first place". I know its a narrow view on it but I don't want to go.

I am very introverted and don't enjoy much. I've asked friends teachers parents councilors online etc and am still lost. I realise I'm asking randomness for my job but I really am lost and don't want to start my earlier life as an adult wasted in a bad job and want to get the right start.

My qualifications so far are all my gcses, with 7s ad my highest in physics, DT and PE. And I'm now working towards my A level business and Product design aswell as my Camberidge Technical Sport level 3.

I didn't go to uni either and I'm also introverted. Over the summer after college I sent a bunch of letters out and eventually got a job in bank. Not exciting but was a decent start to my CV and helped a lot with building confidence and self esteem around people.

Hey there,

This isn't an uncommon situation to be in, and yes - this is a university account - but I'm not here to convince you to go to university :wink:

Ask yourself: Why did you choose your GCSEs? Why did you choose your A-levels? Do you enjoy those, would you want to do something about them every day 9-5?

If the answer to any of those is positive, that might start to narrow it down for you. Interested in PE? Consider looking at coaching jobs, maybe run a club for kids, maybe even consider going into teaching. Down the business route - what area of business interests you? Maybe you can find an internship in your area so that you can learn on the job, maybe even paid.

A Degree Apprenticeship could also be a good route for you. You earn the same level of qualification as if you had gone to university but, as it's an apprenticeship, you get paid. Your tuition costs are covered by your employer and you get to learn on the job - to your point, no raking up a massive debt just to get a qualification. If it sounds of interest, do some research online. Degree Apprenticeships are becoming increasingly popular for exactly the reasons you described.

Best of luck!
~ Mikael, UoP Student Rep :h:
(edited 2 years ago)

Have you considered coaching there are loads of qualifications available for that or maybe you could get a job with a company like Neilson Holidays teaching tennis or something or maybe something like being air crew for someone like BA a girl I know did that I know you say you don't want to do uni but maybe and HNC might be for you it's 1 day a week and is usually done as part of a job so your being payed while your there. does that help at all

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending