Aleksander Krol
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Name:  20211008_105213.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  89.9 KB
Can I write for Contact,
The body on which the corresponding force acts: M2
Direction of the corresponding force: upwards
Will that be okay?
Name:  20211008_020643.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  115.5 KB
Cause M2 is on the wooden base. So, M2 exerts a force on the wooden base and the wooden base also exerts an equal and opposite force on M2.
And they're newton's third law pair force and contact forces.

and can someone also tell me how to find the direction of the horizontal force?
i do know the magnitude of the horizontal force, that's 83cos37 but not sure how to find it's direction. :/

Name:  20211008_105047.jpg
Size:  143.3 KB
Name:  20211008_111536.jpg
Size:  199.7 KB
Name:  20211008_111516.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  47.1 KB
Last edited by Aleksander Krol; 1 month ago
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
The corresponding force is the opposite one in the pair. So you're told the forces acting on M2, so you have to list the corresponding forces in the force pair exerted by M2.
https://spark.iop.org/newtons-third-...ction-diagrams

For the direction, unless there is any other info in the question I'd simply say its away from the wall as it must "cancel" the pull into the wall.
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 month ago
Aleksander Krol
Rep:
(Original post by mqb2766)
The corresponding force is the opposite one in the pair. So you're told the forces acting on M2, so you have to list the corresponding forces in the force pair exerted by M2.
https://spark.iop.org/newtons-third-...ction-diagrams

For the direction, unless there is any other info in the question I'd simply say its away from the wall as it must "cancel" the pull into the wall.
i understood the first part, but for the second part, i did not understand it completely.
also you've said that, "unless there is any other info in the question", can you give examples of what kind of information you're talking about?
Last edited by Aleksander Krol; 1 month ago
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Aleksander Krol)
i understood the first part, but for the second part, i did not understand it completely.
also you've said that, "unless there is any other info in the question", can you give examples of what kind of information you're talking about?
If its asking for a direction, sometimes there is some form of axes on the diagram/in the question. If not, theyre asking for a horizontal force here so it could only be into or away from the wall. At the hinge, the table exerts a force into the wall, the hinge/wall exerts a force away from the wall on the table. Have to assume thats the direction they want.
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 month ago
Aleksander Krol
Rep:
(Original post by mqb2766)
If its asking for a direction, sometimes there is some form of axes on the diagram/in the question. If not, theyre asking for a horizontal force here so it could only be into or away from the wall. At the hinge, the table exerts a force into the wall, the hinge/wall exerts a force away from the wall on the table. Have to assume thats the direction they want.
thanks, i finally got it now!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (6)
8%
Okay (25)
33.33%
A bit lacking (21)
28%
Not good at all (23)
30.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed