The Student Room Group

English Literature essay

I did an essay on A Christmas Carol. I would appreciate some feedback based on what I did well, what I could improve on, and a possible rough estimate of the grade that I'm working at. Thanks in advance

How does Dickens present Scrooge as an outsider to society?

Dickens presents Scrooge as a selfish, lonely man who doesn’t care about the struggles and hardships of others. This is supposed to replicate the attitude of the readers of the time as he wanted to improve the lack of generosity from the upper class. Dickens purposefully made this book unaffordable for the lower class as they didn’t need to hear this message. Scrooge has a small number of people in his life who dismiss his coldness and treat him with kindness yet he prefers to remain alone. This is unusual for the time of the Christmas spirit as it’s a time of giving and togetherness.

In this extract, Scrooge is presented as an external dread through the fact that “no wind that blew was bitterer than he” and that dogs believed he had an “evil eye”. This implies that Scrooge is solitary from the world as well as society because of how beings with little to no emotion have a distaste for him. The use of pathetic fallacy reveals that the lack of influence weather had upon his character, his negative nature was overpowering the atmosphere. The use of the adjective “evil” refers to sinister beings that cause havoc revealing already that Scrooge is disliked and people dreaded him. This may make the reader understand that Scrooge begins as the antagonist of his own story. Dickens wrote this ghost story to be read aloud at Christmas. This oral tradition delivers a moral lesson which perhaps is at first that Christmas is a time of unity, not of bitterness and focusing on your own selfish desires.

Scrooge is also presented as an outsider which is made clear when it is stated that “Scrooge was the sole executor” and that he was “neglected by his friends”. This alludes to the fact that Scrooge had been isolated for a long time which leads to his weariness to compromise with others. The use of the verb “neglected” shows that being an outsider was involuntary, he was abandoned. Perhaps, Dickens wanted the reader to infer that Scrooge’s neglect in the past, made him reject the world in the present. This may make the reader pity Scrooge because of the fact that he has been unloved and neglected by his peers. Splitting the novel into five staves leads the reader into believing this would be a joyous tale. Starting it off somber alludes to a happier ending because of the structure of a Carol.

Next, Scrooge is presented as a merciless tyrant through the description of him being “hard and sharp as flint”. This illustrates that he has a rough exterior and it explains why people are too afraid to approach him. This simile makes the character of Scrooge understood more vividly. It creates an understanding of the antihero archetype. Similarly, Scrooge is known to be “solitary as an oyster”. It would lead us to believe that Scrooge is misanthropic, which epitomizes Scrooge as one who craves seclusion. However, once prised open, oysters contain a prized pearl. This could hint at his later transformation. This may make the reader reflective of their own behaviour because of the possibility of character growth. Such a wicked man could possibly change. As Scrooge represents the reader, they would feel more hopeful about their own fate.

Finally, Scrooge grows out of his want for seclusion. This is made clear when he asks “Will you let me in Fred?”. This contrasts to the countless times Scrooge would be cold to Fred and reject his warm nature. This highlights that Scrooge is a changed man because he embraces the spirit of Christmas as he has chosen to finally see his only family member. This rhetorical question reveals that Scrooge seeks forgiveness. The use of the verb “let” links back to how Scrooge has been “neglected by his friends” so Scrooge is asking for permission to be included in a social event. The reader once again feels a sense of relief as they can possibly be forgiven for their own behaviour. Dickens intended this story to bring families together in a horrible time where poverty and suffering were the norms. Children were forced to do unruly jobs and being poor was a crime. Finishing the five stave structure with a family being reunited shows some of the ideas of the Christmas spirit.

To conclude, Scrooge represents the target audience of the time, the people who could truly make a difference in the lives of the poor. He is a man who learns to appreciate others’ company. Dickens conveys that Scrooge’s willingness to be generous and break out of his shell can save lives.
This is a really good essay but I’d recommend adding a few extra techniques (or say more specifically what type of verb it is etc) for some quotes where possible since, although it is hard to find techniques in the text, they are very picky about it

Also, where you say “the description of him being” I would personally change that to be “the imagery of him being portrayed as…”

I hope this helps,
Reply 2
Original post by minnierocks
This is a really good essay but I’d recommend adding a few extra techniques (or say more specifically what type of verb it is etc) for some quotes where possible since, although it is hard to find techniques in the text, they are very picky about it

Also, where you say “the description of him being” I would personally change that to be “the imagery of him being portrayed as…”

I hope this helps,

Thanks. Do you have a rough estimate for my mark? I know it wouldn’t be completely accurate but it would be nice to get somewhat of an idea. It’s fine if you don’t
Original post by leena_1473
Thanks. Do you have a rough estimate for my mark? I know it wouldn’t be completely accurate but it would be nice to get somewhat of an idea. It’s fine if you don’t

I’d say that it’s definitely 30/40 or above but I can’t remember the exact mark scheme since I did my literature last year
Reply 4
I’d say that it’s definitely 30/40 or above but I can’t remember the exact mark scheme since I did my literature last year

Lol it's out of 30. I was saying it's at a 25/30
Reply 5
Thanks

I hope this helps.
Original post by leena_1473
Lol it's out of 30. I was saying it's at a 25/30

Oh idk what exam board you’re doing but all my literature essays were out of 40
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending