**CAREERS ADVICE FOR...** A History postgrad...

Watch
SahOm35
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Initially, I knew that a History MA would be a waste of time + money and I might as well go straight into work after my History BA. But I managed to get a full scholarship so I thought why not. I didn't engage in many extracurriculars @ UG level (societies, projects etc) which I want to rectify in my 1 year MA. Now I need to figure out where to go next.

I'll cut to the chase. It's between...

1. Teaching - I have some experience with this working as a tutor but it isn't that well respected and the pay isn't great (if someone can change my mind please do). I also want to escape from the educational cycle and go into the real world. This leads me to...

2. Consulting/Private Sector Analyst roles - Because it's diverse, they take different disciplines and the pay is usually good - plus no two days are the same. Need tips to get into this sector with limited business experience

3. Journalism - I enjoy this the most, have some experience writing for my Uni but that's about it. I don't know about the pay so help me out with that.

These are my options. Please lemme know if there is another sector that would love a History postgrad with tutoring + e-commerce experience (I worked in a fancy call centre in UG days too).
Last edited by SahOm35; 2 weeks ago
SummerStrawberry
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Have you thought about Teach First? You'll get placed in a school for two years as a teacher, and they have lots of partnerships with big firms (including the 'big four') who often take people who've done the programme after their placements.

The schools you'll go into are usually quite challenging, which means a lot of opportunity to make a really positive difference, but also probably a much harder couple of years than you'd have if you went down the PGCE (or similar) route, especially since you're going straight in at the deep end, but it'd be a good way to get some experience of teaching and see if you like it, and keeps open a good route 'out' if you want to switch elsewhere after your two years.
SahOm35
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by SummerStrawberry)
Have you thought about Teach First? You'll get placed in a school for two years as a teacher, and they have lots of partnerships with big firms (including the 'big four') who often take people who've done the programme after their placements.

The schools you'll go into are usually quite challenging, which means a lot of opportunity to make a really positive difference, but also probably a much harder couple of years than you'd have if you went down the PGCE (or similar) route, especially since you're going straight in at the deep end, but it'd be a good way to get some experience of teaching and see if you like it, and keeps open a good route 'out' if you want to switch elsewhere after your two years.
Thanks for the feedback. I've heard of teachfirst and considered it before deciding on my MA. What would doing a PGCE entail, would you recommend it over TeachFirst and why?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (160)
84.21%
No (30)
15.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise