Have you ever applied for a job that requires experience you do not have?

Watch
RatLadyy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I’ve just graduated university, currently looking at jobs. I’m looking at a job that requires experience of working within a field of independent advocacy, which I do not have as I have volunteered with a Deaf children’s charity which isn’t really independent advocacy.

I also feel a sense of guilt and low-self esteem when applying for jobs that ask for experience I don’t have.

Have you ever applied for a job without the relevant experience required? How did you feel about it?
Last edited by RatLadyy; 2 weeks ago
RatLadyy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Bump?
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No.
I won't apply for jobs where I don't meet the basic entry requirements.
Nor any graduate schemes.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by RatLadyy)
I’ve just graduated university, currently looking at jobs. I’m looking at a job that requires experience of working within a field of independent advocacy, which I do not have as I have volunteered with a Deaf children’s charity which isn’t really independent advocacy.

I also feel a sense of guilt and low-self esteem when applying for jobs that ask for experience I don’t have.

Have you ever applied for a job without the relevant experience required? How did you feel about it?
The general convention is that you can apply to any job where you have at least 60% of the competencies required, but you probably aren't going to be competitive without about 80%, but you never know.

I've frequently applied for jobs I don't have the full set of experience for. Some jobs, some employment sectors an employer can expect to get lucky and get the perfect candidate, but usually employers end up with a choice between different candidates that only have 80+% of the experience that's listed in the job specification. That's largely because employers advertise for the ideal, not the realistic.

Also, more and more employers are realising that attitude and values are more important than specific skills. in many sectors it's more important to hire and individual with the right attitude for the company and team and teach them the skills. An employer can't change an employee's attitude and values.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (162)
83.51%
No (32)
16.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed