ash929292
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
If you apply for medicine and send in a med at statement can i still apply for economics at kings?
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
People really should evaluate the rep of KCL before being suckered into hype. Don't get me wrong, the education you receive is top notch, but student satisfaction is low for a reason. Trust me, I'm here currently and wow, getting help from admin to maintenance is shockingly bad and the university should be ashamed of themselves. Needs a new captain, current one is sinking fast.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you are applying to medicine, your fifth choice can be whatever, but they will receive the medicine PS. Some unis/courses will view this with prejudice (e.g. Oxford BMS, Human Sciences; Cambridge NatSci), others may not. If the uni usually does not have any issue with the medicine PS but the course is very different, they may require you submit an alternate personal statement to them after applying. You should plan to have this available if you do go ahead with this plan.

KCL's economics course is not generally considered very strong as it's very new (I think they only just had the first cohort graduate this year), and it's drawn from their departments of management and of political economy. It doesn't, to my knowledge, have a standalone economics department. It seems an odd choice as a result, since it's really at best a question mark and at worst so-so. There are lots of better economics departments/courses e.g. Bristol, Nottingham, Warwick, which may even consider a medicine PS.

You do not have to apply to a fifth non-medical choice, and if your primary goal is medicine it is probably best not to, and aim to reapply in a gap year if unsuccessful. Doing another degree with the aim of pursuing medicine later is a very bad idea for many reasons that are repeated ad nauseam in this forum. Overall, KCL is not a great choice for economics, and if you want to be a doctor you are better off not applying to a fifth choice at all and just reapplying if need be.
ash929292
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
If you are applying to medicine, your fifth choice can be whatever, but they will receive the medicine PS. Some unis/courses will view this with prejudice (e.g. Oxford BMS, Human Sciences; Cambridge NatSci), others may not. If the uni usually does not have any issue with the medicine PS but the course is very different, they may require you submit an alternate personal statement to them after applying. You should plan to have this available if you do go ahead with this plan.

KCL's economics course is not generally considered very strong as it's very new (I think they only just had the first cohort graduate this year), and it's drawn from their departments of management and of political economy. It doesn't, to my knowledge, have a standalone economics department. It seems an odd choice as a result, since it's really at best a question mark and at worst so-so. There are lots of better economics departments/courses e.g. Bristol, Nottingham, Warwick, which may even consider a medicine PS.

You do not have to apply to a fifth non-medical choice, and if your primary goal is medicine it is probably best not to, and aim to reapply in a gap year if unsuccessful. Doing another degree with the aim of pursuing medicine later is a very bad idea for many reasons that are repeated ad nauseam in this forum. Overall, KCL is not a great choice for economics, and if you want to be a doctor you are better off not applying to a fifth choice at all and just reapplying if need be.
Hi, I am a gap year applicant. Last year my application wasn’t great as I unfortunately bottled my UKCAT however this year and I’m really grateful to have got a top decile mark. Even though I’m aware this is a much stronger application I’m genuinely really paranoid because I definitely want to go university next year. If not med I would like to pursue econ, however I heard London is the best place to do this as you make connections with companies etc. My a levels Are achieved A*A*A but A in maths and have very high GCSEs so I was essentially just hoping they see my stats and give offers, but if it’s not like that I won’t risk it. I really appreciate your help and you’ve made me reconsider. What would you recommend . I don’t want a 5th option that’s biomed I want my 5th to be economics to be honest . Thank you so much I appreciate it very very much you don’t understand
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ash929292)
If you apply for medicine and send in a med at statement can i still apply for economics at kings?
No one should pick a 5th, non medicine choice. NEVER EVER do a random degree with the sole aim for graduate entry medicine because it'll take longer, cost more and (most importantly) will be much more competitive

Finally, if you don't have a 5th choice you may be eligible for Clearing - some medicine courses go into clearing.

Bottom line: don't pick a 5th choice, if unsuccessful just take a gap year and reapply next year... unless you wanted to give up in medicine.

Take 2, 3 gap years if you have to.
ash929292
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by ecolier)
No one should pick a 5th, non medicine choice. NEVER EVER do a random degree with the sole aim for graduate entry medicine because it'll take longer, cost more and (most importantly) will be much more competitive

Finally, if you don't have a 5th choice you may be eligible for Clearing - some medicine courses go into clearing.

Bottom line: don't pick a 5th choice, if unsuccessful just take a gap year and reapply next year... unless you wanted to give up in medicine.

Take 2, 3 gap years if you have to.
That’s not really my question I don’t plan on graduate medicine bro. If I don’t do med this year I’m passionate abt econ and I’ll do that instead and get a job in finance which I’ll be happy with. My question is just wether they accept that or ask for an alternative statement / flat out reject but thanks for your input
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (53)
14.25%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (94)
25.27%
I'm a bit unsure (66)
17.74%
I'm finding things difficult (127)
34.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
8.6%

Watched Threads