The Student Room Group

Gap year before medical school

I am going to take a gap year after my A-levels. Is there anything I can do before my medical school that could benefit my chances of going into one?
Do work experience and reflect thoughtfully on it, prepare as much as you can for the UCAT/BMAT, if you get offers prepare for interviews. Same stuff as you'd do if you applied now, but you'll probably have a bit more time to do so and be less distracted by your A-level studies!
Reply 2
Thank you, so by work experience, what do you have in mind? I wanna be a cardiothoracic surgeon btw (if that helps)
Original post by Zackkk1
Thank you, so by work experience, what do you have in mind? I wanna be a cardiothoracic surgeon btw (if that helps)

why do you want to be that?
Reply 4
Original post by CaptainDuckie
why do you want to be that?

I want to be a surgeon because you have very good hand/eye coordination and have excellent 3D spatial awareness, I am cool under pressure and don't panic when things aren't going my way, I can handle devastating failure without it affecting your confidence to get to the next scheduled patient, I can do my best work even when I don't feel my best or when things aren't going well at home.
I like to help people in general.
I like to matter, make a difference, and feeling important.
I like fixing things, solve puzzles, and working on one of the most precious matters on the planet. The precision that's needed.
I like how serious it is, and what the job is asking from me.
I know I'm capable of the job
I like the gratitude given when being successful. And can handle the blows that come with not have been successful.
Original post by Zackkk1
I want to be a surgeon because you have very good hand/eye coordination and have excellent 3D spatial awareness, I am cool under pressure and don't panic when things aren't going my way, I can handle devastating failure without it affecting your confidence to get to the next scheduled patient, I can do my best work even when I don't feel my best or when things aren't going well at home.
I like to help people in general.
I like to matter, make a difference, and feeling important.
I like fixing things, solve puzzles, and working on one of the most precious matters on the planet. The precision that's needed.
I like how serious it is, and what the job is asking from me.
I know I'm capable of the job
I like the gratitude given when being successful. And can handle the blows that come with not have been successful.

As far as admissions team are concerned, this is a fairly cliché answer and it’s something that you need to research more into from the looks of it.
Original post by Zackkk1

Work in a hospital/care home/pharmacy etc.
As far as admissions team are concerned, this is a fairly cliché answer and it’s something that you need to research more into from the looks of it.

True. OP could submit this answer in regards to being a mechanic or even a table tennis player and it would work perfectly. There are lots of jobs that require thinking under pressure, good hand eye coordination and hard work.
Reply 8

Original post by Caz1234567
True. OP could submit this answer in regards to being a mechanic or even a table tennis player and it would work perfectly. There are lots of jobs that require thinking under pressure, good hand eye coordination and hard work.

Yeah, of course, I have some things to say that are outside the box, but do you have any ideas of getting out of that "everyone says the same thing" situation? I wanna hear your input
Original post by Zackkk1
Yeah, of course, I have some things to say that are outside the box, but do you have any ideas of getting out of that "everyone says the same thing" situation? I wanna hear your input

Probs follow the advice above poster gave. Get some experience and add a story to it.

Quick Reply

Latest