The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Why isn’t Glasgow rated that highly on the Student Room?

Hey,

I’ve been reading a few forums on the Unis people on here think are the most prestigious and I’m a bit surprised Glasgow doesn’t feature in many top tens. I’m not biased - I go to Edinburgh but I’m curious as to why people might think it’s not rated as highly on here?

I’ve always seen it as being around 10th-15th in the UK and it’s ranked fairly consistently top 15 in national rankings and top 100 in the world.
Probably because most TSR students are attending uni in England, not Scotland.
The 4 year degrees and colder temperatures put a lot of people off.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
Hey,

I’ve been reading a few forums on the Unis people on here think are the most prestigious and I’m a bit surprised Glasgow doesn’t feature in many top tens. I’m not biased - I go to Edinburgh but I’m curious as to why people might think it’s not rated as highly on here?

I’ve always seen it as being around 10th-15th in the UK and it’s ranked fairly consistently top 15 in national rankings and top 100 in the world.

Glasgow is a good uni.

I have never seen it snubbed, its kind of in the bracket where its prestigious but not in the upper most echelon. Id rate it similarly to Kings, Bristol, Durham, Bath etc.

Edinburgh & Glasgow have great reputations but I am far less familiar with them by comparison to the English unis I generally feel pretty well informed.
Considered Edinburgh and Glasgow before, certainly very good universities.
Because TSR is full of ordinary (and maybe not so ordinary) people who base their opinions on their own experiences, heresy and what they’ve read elsewhere. It doesn’t reflect on Glasgow University whatsoever and the general TSR opinion (or lack of) regarding Glasgow is more to do with the fact that people don’t have much (factual) information on it.
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Because TSR is full of ordinary (and maybe not so ordinary) people who base their opinions on their own experiences, heresy and what they’ve read elsewhere. It doesn’t reflect on Glasgow University whatsoever and the general TSR opinion (or lack of) regarding Glasgow is more to do with the fact that people don’t have much (factual) information on it.

at least it better than southampton tsr seem to hate that:biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by mnot
Glasgow is a good uni.

I have never seen it snubbed, its kind of in the bracket where its prestigious but not in the upper most echelon. Id rate it similarly to Kings, Bristol, Durham, Bath etc.

Edinburgh & Glasgow have great reputations but I am far less familiar with them by comparison to the English unis I generally feel pretty well informed.

hmmmm tbh I don't think Kings and Glasgow are comparable
Reply 7
Original post by londonmyst
Probably because most TSR students are attending uni in England, not Scotland.
The 4 year degrees and colder temperatures put a lot of people off.

True! I feel like Edinburgh and St Andrews have much higher % of English students so they talk about them rather than Glasgow
Reply 8
Original post by Wise Goldie
at least it better than southampton tsr seem to hate that:biggrin:

Yes ahaha I’ve noticed that too. King’s seems pretty hated too
Reply 9
I feel like the fact that Glasgow had a reputation of being a bit of a grimy city in the 90s and 00s kind of brought down its reputation bit like Manchester. Whilst the south of England go crazy for cities they find pretty like Edinburgh instead of Glasgow
Original post by Anonymous
Hey,

because Glasgow is a ghetto

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending