IGCSE History Question - Confusion about dates.

Watch this thread
stubbed toes
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi, I'm taking History as one of my IGCSE's, and I have some slight confusion about the dates, as they don't seem to be very consistent.

For example, in my main coursebook, the date cited for the Battle of Marne is the '5th - 12th September 1914', however in my other textbooks, also of the Cambridge board, they state the ' 6th - 10th'. To further the confusion, other online sources such as the 'Interactive online WWI timeline' claim the dates are from the '5th - 10th', or some variation of these options.

Which set of dates is correct? Or are they all acceptable? If so, which one should I memorise? Are memorising negligible dates such as these even helpful, come the proper test?

I encounter inconsistencies such as these often in my History studies, how should I determine the correct date(s) in the future? Should I simply pick the most cited version? Or just go with the one listed in my main coursebook(s)?

Thank you for your time.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by stubbed toes)
Hi, I'm taking History as one of my IGCSE's, and I have some slight confusion about the dates, as they don't seem to be very consistent.

For example, in my main coursebook, the date cited for the Battle of Marne is the '5th - 12th September 1914', however in my other textbooks, also of the Cambridge board, they state the ' 6th - 10th'. To further the confusion, other online sources such as the 'Interactive online WWI timeline' claim the dates are from the '5th - 10th', or some variation of these options.

Which set of dates is correct? Or are they all acceptable? If so, which one should I memorise? Are memorising negligible dates such as these even helpful, come the proper test?

I encounter inconsistencies such as these often in my History studies, how should I determine the correct date(s) in the future? Should I simply pick the most cited version? Or just go with the one listed in my main coursebook(s)?

Thank you for your time.
The situation was fluid so pinning down exact dates can be difficult.

It seems clear that Joffre ordered the attack to start on the 6th. However, the opposing forces were never far apart and some of the French units ran into part of the German screening force on the 5th.

The end of the battle is harder to define. The German retreat to the Aisne began on the 10th and the follow-up battle of that name began on the 13th.

In summary, it probably doesn't matter that much. Your textbook has perfectly reasonable dates based on the actual fighting whereas the Cambridge sources appear based on the key orders. Just be consistent.
stubbed toes
Rep:
(Original post by ageshallnot)
The situation was fluid so pinning down exact dates can be difficult.

It seems clear that Joffre ordered the attack to start on the 6th. However, the opposing forces were never far apart and some of the French units ran into part of the German screening force on the 5th.

The end of the battle is harder to define. The German retreat to the Aisne began on the 10th and the follow-up battle of that name began on the 13th.

In summary, it probably doesn't matter that much. Your textbook has perfectly reasonable dates based on the actual fighting whereas the Cambridge sources appear based on the key orders. Just be consistent.
Thank you immensely for your answer, it was extremely helpful and clarified many of my concerns.

Out of curiosity, which of these dates do you believe to be the most accurate?
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by stubbed toes)
Thank you immensely for your answer, it was extremely helpful and clarified many of my concerns.

Out of curiosity, which of these dates do you believe to be the most accurate?
I'd go with the dates based on orders. Fighting was constant and fluid.
stubbed toes
Rep:
(Original post by ageshallnot)
I'd go with the dates based on orders. Fighting was constant and fluid.
Thank you for your thorough and informative replies.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (97)
68.31%
No (30)
21.13%
I didn't use it to prepare (15)
10.56%

Watched Threads