The Student Room Group

Wasn’t told someone in my year tested positive for COVID- is this standard?

So I got to school today and found out that someone in my year had tested positive via a PCR test. However, the school had known since yesterday morning when the person had a positive lateral flow test, and was just waiting for the confirmation that their PCR was positive. Should they have kept this from us? I understand why they might need to completely confirm a case, and I was also told that there was some privacy issues about telling us before the PCR result but I have vulnerable relatives, as do many of my classmates, and we’ve all unknowingly been exposed to covid. There were some other positive lateral flow tests yesterday evening and today so if we have been told we could have tested ourselves earlier and prevented covid from spreading. Is this standard/expected practice from schools or is my school being unreasonable? Has anyone had this experience too?

FYI, there are only like 30 people in my year, hence things are more likely to spread as that person was in most of our lessons- idk if that makes a difference though.
The government changed policy for this year so schools don't need to ask anyone to isolate even if they've been in contact with a positive case. They'll just keep you doing home tests and you should only isolate if you're positive. Even if someone else at home has Covid you're still expected by gov to attend school.

I absolutely don't agree but that is where we're currently at, and it sounds like school are just following that guidance.

Quick Reply

Latest